Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Stolch

I’ve been trying to come up with an applicable definition for the acronym SNORT we could use maybe he’d would’ve appreciated that.
But that’s a tough one trying to tie those letters to a “slow down and pull out that checklist and use it every time you strap in“ kind of a theme.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member

Hephaestus

There's a video on tiktok/fb looks like canopy's gone - who knows what it did to the tail in the process.

Once things break and go wrong - pull the "oh chute" handle. Any airplane is cheaper than an injured or killed bystander beneath.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I’ve been trying to come up with an applicable definition for the acronym SNORT we could use maybe he’d would’ve appreciated that.
But that’s a tough one trying to tie those letters to a “slow down and pull out that checklist and use it every time you strap in“ kind of a theme.

Study Nomencature Or Risk Tragedy

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
Early in the video, it looked like a base jumper wearing a wingsuit jumping from the plane. 😂

Glad no one was hurt.
Pilot is a examinator, a safety guru and a flight instructor. It's his second crash.

Leave him with his ULM-licence and revoke all other's for ever I'd say.

As for the crash: the BRS sure worked but why it is not designed as to lower the aircraft horizontally, so that it "lands" on its wheels?

Hephaestus

As for the crash: the BRS sure worked but why it is not designed as to lower the aircraft horizontally, so that it "lands" on its wheels?

Typically that's the preference - but canopy off - he may have been on the slower end of the deployment window. So tearaway strips may not have functioned as intended.

Or space limitations resulted in this being the only way feasible - nose down.

We had a long discussion about how to hang under the chute - engineer wanted tail first - more crumple zone and more body resistance to Gs staring at the sky. Less likely to get speared by fences looking at that video too 🤣

Bill-Higdon

Last edited:

Wanttaja

"Stop! Never Omit Reading [checklist] Texts"

Ron Wanttaja

proppastie

Supporting Member
We had a long discussion about how to hang under the chute - engineer wanted tail first - more crumple zone and more body resistance to Gs staring at the sky.
Probably all kinds of engineering compromises here.....CG at time of deployment (fuel number of passengers?), available strong enough mounting points? When the tail hits first does there then be a 20 ft swing fall of the nose or does the chute lower the rest of the structure gently?.....

Riggerrob

Early in the video, it looked like a base jumper wearing a wingsuit jumping from the plane. 😂

Glad no one was hurt.
Video is too dark to tell if the black lump is wearing a BASE rig. Even for a BASE jumper, that is a ridiculously low exit altitude.
In silhouette it does sort-of resemble a wing suit.
Why people insist on jumping BASE rigs from airplanes is a mystery to me, but I only have 2 BASE jumps, 70 wing suit jumps, 7,000 total jumps plus a long list of skydiving and rigging ratings.
Jumping a single-parachute system from an airplane is illegal in North America. ????????????

bmcj

Supporting Member
Video is too dark to tell if the black lump is wearing a BASE rig. Even for a BASE jumper, that is a ridiculously low exit altitude.
In silhouette it does sort-of resemble a wing suit.
Why people insist on jumping BASE rigs from airplanes is a mystery to me, but I only have 2 BASE jumps, 70 wing suit jumps, 7,000 total jumps plus a long list of skydiving and rigging ratings.
Jumping a single-parachute system from an airplane is illegal in North America. ????????????
I’m sure it was just a panel or piece of fabric (maybe some sort of deployment bag). I was just pitching the base jumper idea as tongue in cheek.

bmcj

Supporting Member
Pilot is a examinator, a safety guru and a flight instructor. It's his second crash.

Leave him with his ULM-licence and revoke all other's for ever I'd say.
Accidents or emergency deployments happen, and sometimes for unpredictable reasons. If someone is an instructor and examiner and is very active, it stands to reason that one might likely be involved with some form of emergency, maybe even more than once.

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
Accidents or emergency deployments happen, and sometimes for unpredictable reasons. If someone is an instructor and examiner and is very active, it stands to reason that one might likely be involved with some form of emergency, maybe even more than once.

All that is correct and I don't know the exact circumstances of the incident. I saw (the video of ) the plane coming down, 1 POB.

However I feel that an instructor even with a plane where the tail falls off or the wings fold, has to land the plane. To me the BRS is like modern electronics in cars: a system which allows the stupid to get out of jail. The BRS pulled and you are a passenger with no control.

As to instructors being more actif: also correct. We had (in Belgium) quite some instructors paying the ultimate price. But then again from the 2 I knew, it did not come as a surprise. Both died (with a student) doing something utterly stupid (one making the impossible turn after take off, the other other practising stalls 1000 ft above ground in a Piper PA-38).

Well, the guy in St-Andries wrecked a nice aircraft and lives to tell the tale. Will probably even write (again) a book about it. I won't buy it nor read it, I will duck if it's thrown at my head :)

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Jumping a single-parachute system from an airplane is illegal in North America.
Isn't every ejection seat/egress system a single parachute system?😉
Of course, if we count the drogue chute they aren't. And maybe if a rocket is doing the work, it ain't even a "jump."

It seems inconsistent to allow legal BASE jumping with one parachute (and from an altitude where a reserve chute isn't practical) but then not allow a solo jump from an airplane without a reserve chute. Assuming the participant is an adult, isn't puting others at risk, etc. I wouldn't choose to make a voluntary jump from a plane in peacetime without a reserve, but that's just me.