Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

gtae07

Witnesses often try to make sense of what they experienced... in their personal frame of reference... and replay/refine it until it becomes coherent TO THEM...
I was in an accident investigation class at work all last week and the instructor made a point that pilots are often the worst witnesses to aviation accidents, because we all try to interpret what we see rather than explain literally.

Bille Floyd

The last (2) posts ...

I don't understand , how nature could take the lives
of these aviators ; when I flew with total and complete
reckless abandon , for so many years , (and I'm still living) ?
Nature ; it ain't fair :( !!!!!!!

Bille

Voidhawk9

Supporting Member
Looks like it blew a tyre and went sideways just prior to the pyros going off. 😞
Not sure if the flames were inadvertent 'afterburner' activation or fuel dumping out at shut-down?

speedracer

And do a control check, as a matter of habit, as you roll onto the runway.
I agree. I've always done that. It's on the take off checklist. 20 years ago, I taxied out to take off at Jackpot Nevada for a 120 mile triangle race along with a dozen other EZ's. The previous day I had taped the rudders and ailerons with small pieces of yellow masking tape which were the same color as my plane. I did the control system check and nothing moved (uh oh) but I knew what the problem was immediately. I stomped on both rudders and went L/R with the stick and popped the tape loose. At least I didn't have to be embarrassed and shut the plane down, get out and remove the tape. Pic is at the start of the 304 NM Coppestate Dash air race. Flag guy is Jim Irwin (Aircraft Spruce boss).

Attachments

• speedracer at start of Copperstate Dash race.jpg
    speedracer at start of Copperstate Dash race.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0