Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Marc W

Cessna went down on a county road a mile or so from my home drome Monday. Good landing since pilot and passenger walked away. Not a great landing as the airplane is not useable now. The road is paved but it is hilly and curvy - not a good place to land a Cessna. The Cessna is at the airport so I will go look at it tomorrow.

This is a picture a friend had:

Cessna crash 6-19-22.jpg

Last edited:

Stolch

Dang it. I hope they find out what happened. I graduated Army flight school as a UH-1 aviator.
Hmmm. All the aircraft I flew in the military are mounted on sticks in front of museums. I wonder what that means. Anyway I’m sleepy now, it’s 5 pm after all 🙄

Pops

RIP to all involved, and of course very sad to hear of the loss of a combat veteran Huey. I have a good friend who flew B models and everything else.
I knew the owner. Every May there is a picnic at Benny Mallory's airport and the owner was always there with the Huey. He was also an old friend of Benny Mallory. Benny was also a helicopter instructor and examiner.

Shades of Johnny Miller! :)
We had a guy show up at Post Mills with one of these early American Autogyro units about 15 years ago: rolled it up into a ball on his first attempt at flight. I‘ve looked at AA’s gyros with a bit of a jaundiced eye ever since (which isn’t fair to AA, I admit, but fair is where they show pigs...).

wktaylor

A witness reporting streaming fuel obviously implies a failed fuel system... assuming the witness saw fuel mist/spray as opposed to smoke.

US Army UH-1Hs have crashworthy fuel tanks and plumbing... which usually have to be inspected every year for security and rubber deterioration... and is 100% replaced ~every 5-to-8 years to get ahead of rubber deterioration. Failure to do so WILL result in an non-crashworthy fuel system.

SpruceForest

B model... IMS, self-sealing tanks, but not crashworthy/breakaway connectors/port. C model bumped fuel capacity, and D was the stretched troop carrier that saw fuel tanks moved around a bit. H had self-sealing/crashworthy tanks, break-away, self-sealing connectors, and the pull-through filler port.

Accident was close by in WV, so got calls from former unit buddies within an hour or so. Definitely a tragedy all around.

Common to hear old Huey jocks opine that when the last UH-60 went to the boneyard, a UH-1 would pick up the crew. Sadly, last Army/USAR/NG UH-1 was retired in 2016, so that smug mug that the Skid Kids practiced never got used.

Last edited:

D Hillberg

Tanks with boost pumps and aluminum hard lines [below fire wall] to steel tube [fire wall] flex line to engine.
Flexible braded lines running from cells in areas and to airframe hard lines.
If the engine quit and you do not shut off the boost pumps you'll get a fire.
On the military UH1 H - HH 1 H had one electric pump and one air driven pump... A vertical fuel line up the hell hole.
Mike Model from the 80s was my intro... Hiser had one but it didn't last long, And Chet Rasbury had a bunch with the same serial number...

Last edited:

wktaylor

Ava... to a degree Your comment RE witnesses is correct. Often mishaps occur without benefit of useable video and audio... for a host of reasons. How many of 'us' are prepared to observe/mentally record the unthinkable in the next minute?????

However witnesses have value if You simply take what they observed and enter it into the record... then integrate it with the remaining evidence. Witnesses often try to make sense of what they experienced... in their personal frame of reference... and replay/refine it until it becomes coherent TO THEM... but truly garbled/distant to the reality of what they witnessed.

Oddly children are often 'best witnesses' since their minds will not concoct a scenario to match what they THINK they saw... they just simply tell You what they saw/heard/felt/smelled/etc.

From USAF Mishap Training Document... for Interviewing documenting and making sense of witnesses... at taste of the complexity...

USAF AFP 127-1 V1 SAFETY INVESTIGATION - US AIR FORCE GUIDE TO MISHAP INVESTIGATION [May 1987]

CHAPTER 8 THE WITNESS

Section A-General

8.1. Interviewing Witnesses
8.2. Purpose of Interviewing
8-3. Interview Philosophy
8-4. Timing the Interview
8-5. Privileged Communication
8-6. Documenting Witness Statements
8-7. Types of witnesses
8-8. Locating Witnesses
8-9. The Interviewer

Section B-Planning the Interview