Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I am not a balloon designer but I think it stabilizes the flame by controlling the inflow and outflow to the bag. Hot air needs to go in and cold air needs to get out.

Example: Fill a two liter bottle and invert it to empty the water. The flow is turbulent as the water flowing out interferes with the air going in. Without the skirt the outflow location is random and oscillates around the flame.

J.L. Frusha

17 June 2022:

Game Warden in a Cessna 206 crashed into Lady Bird Lake - Austin, Texas.
NTSB says the pilot reported smoke in the cabin, then a loss of power. Pilot was rescued by 2 people on paddle-boards.

Commenters teasing about it being a hard way to check for hunting and fishing licenses...

D Hillberg

Slight thread drift:

Reminds me of a question I haven't taken the time to research myself, but maybe someone here can save me some time. What is this device's purpose?
View attachment 126801
Wind guard - keeps the flame in the hole and not burning the gas bag. Hot air good burning envelope bad.

Or a sun shade for a cabana?

raytol

Supporting Member
The circled ma
Slight thread drift:

Reminds me of a question I haven't taken the time to research myself, but maybe someone here can save me some time. What is this device's purpose?
View attachment 126801
The material is a fire proof material and it is used mostly when the balloon is on it's side being initially inflated. Petrol driven fans have made the initial inflation easier but the rip-stop nylon envelope is easily damaged if the burner flame gets too close!

Ava

....The rip-stop nylon envelope is easily damaged if the burner flame gets too close!
icarus.jpg
Kathryn's great(x43)grandmother's Report...

Daedalus Mk 2: Incident occurred near Labyrinth, Crete, at 12:43 pm Tuesday August 21st, about 2000 BC. One fatality.

Weight shift craft crashed into the sea after critical airframe components melted.

D Hillberg

View attachment 126839
Kathryn's great(x43)grandmother's Report...

Daedalus Mk 2: Incident occurred near Labyrinth, Crete, at 12:43 pm Tuesday August 21st, about 2000 BC. One fatality.

Weight shift craft crashed into the sea after critical airframe components melted.
Looks like his parachute deployed and tangled with his landing gear - Poor Sod's had it!

J.L. Frusha

Balloons always land with a tail wind. Designers do not put tails on balloons to disguise the facts, confusing the pilots

Say again...?

EARLY CAMERON HOT AIR AIRSHIP OWNED BY HARVEY
HUBBELL IV. PAY ATTENTION TO OPEN ENVELOPE
MOUTH AND SCOOP.
1655661602092.png

bmcj

Supporting Member
A Cessna Skymaster went down yesterday shortly after takeoff from Porterville (CA) Airport, killing the sole occupant and starting a fire. No details other than he took off from Porterville and was headed to Milwaukee. The reporter stated that “the tower lost contact with the pilot”, but Porterville is uncontrolled, so I suspect he was either talking to Bakersfield Approach or Los Angeles Center, or they might have meant that they lost radar contact. Unrelated, but it was almost exactly a year ago that a friend of mine (F-15 pilot) was killed in nearly the same spot after his RV-6 engine quit after takeoff.

Last edited:

Hawk81A

Too late to change my avatar :(
At least "yours" has pants. Dennis

On the subject of balloons, I remember being on location when a group of balloonists were landing after a group flight. My impression was that every landing was a crash. Maybe in still conditions things work out better. (My personal position) Balloons are best in Hallmark movies. (if you're a balloonist, don't be offended, to each "their" own).

Riggerrob

The circled ma

The material is a fire proof material and it is used mostly when the balloon is on it's side being initially inflated. Petrol driven fans have made the initial inflation easier but the rip-stop nylon envelope is easily damaged if the burner flame gets too close!

Rip-stop nylon deteriorates too rapidly when exposed to UV sunlight. Far more likely to be Dacron that withstands UV radiation much longer. I also suspect that they use Nomex in high-temperature panels near the burner.

Tiger Tim

My number one safety rule is to fly for myself, and not the people on the ground.
Same here. I’d say *most* average spectators would be excited to witness a plane crash first hand whether they admit it or not and I simply refuse to pander to that.

If this is true , last thing ya wanna do is please the spectators . I don't know what $ ya get for an airshow but it needs to be enough to retire on because they might not fall for it again . :pilot: 🐒

Ava

Same here. I’d say *most* average spectators would be excited to witness a plane crash first hand whether they admit it or not and I simply refuse to pander to that.
Somebody's signature line on another website reads:

"Do not take my advice. I am not a safety expert. In fact, I enjoy it when things catch fire and / or crash. I do not have your best interests at heart."