Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

bmcj

Hmm...a different perspective on how people should be allowed to use/abuse their own property. How do you feel watching the old barnstormers crashing into buildings?

it’s always sad to see a plane destroyed, even in the old barnstormers films. As for our latest skydiving duo, I can’t argue with their right to destroy their plane, but I can argue that they did not have permission to crash on the landowner’s property, nor did they have a way to guarantee separation if someone flew fast through the area.
All of the plane crashes on film are now CGI… perhaps our skydivers should have opted for the same.

If you sense a little cynicism, perhaps it’s because I have very little respect for YouTube Influencers and Clickwhores.

Last edited:

Bille Floyd

All of the plane crashes on film are now CGI… perhaps our skydivers should have opted for the same.

If you sense a little cynicism, perhaps it’s because I have very little respect for YouTube Influencers and Clickwhores.

Mind if i use this quote , to make an off topic Thread ; it's a real
story about a 16-year old boy , turning down learning to fly an RC
airplane ?

Bille

Vigilant1

It was bad setup. Did the chimney and mast really need to be directly aligned with the runway? If that stuff had been at the other end of the building the hazard would have been significantly reduced. I don't know, but I'm guessing the runway was there before the stack.

Vigilant1

They also left the VASI with out power
VASI would normally be especially useful at a place like this with a steeper-than-normal glide path. It's a good "reminder" that you shouldn't be using the "normal" sight picture. "Hey, everything is still red?!"

Still, on the day of the accident (I mile viz), it might not have helped her.
Very sad. This can be an unforgiving business.

Turd Ferguson

They also left the VASI with out power
The VASI was intentionally disconnected when the threshold was displaced, which happened when an obstruction in the approach path was erected. The angle may now be too steep to have it certified -not sure. The dynamics at this airport are nothing unusual and play out over 1000's of airports across the country where obstacles penetrate the 20:1 visual slope plane. That's why most of these approaches have been N/A'd at night. Like the one in Burley.

Dan makes a lot of claims and as usual offers little evidence. That goes along with the other YT experts that pontificate the failings of the gov. while never bothering to look at the nuts and bolts of approach design and FAA policy. Apparently none of the mouthpieces were paying attention between 2012 and 2013 when policy required ~16,000 non-precision approaches to have restrictions added because of obstacles.

There is apparently an airport master plan that calls for moving this airport, which could take years. There is also likely conflicting interest between the city and potato plant. The plant is likely generating a lot of income for the city. Airports are valuable as well but it's harder to show that on a leger sheet. If nothing else, maybe that process will be sped up, ya, ok maybe not.

Last edited:

wktaylor

I'm not wild about passing-on Fox News articles... but this may be why Chinese authorities have been silent on the 737-800 straight-dive-in crash... without in-flight break-up [unlike the 737Max's]. I had a feeling this was not a typical mishap scenario.

China Eastern Airlines crash that killed 132 may have been intentional: report
The Chinese airliner that crashed into a mountain in March was put into a near-vertical nosedive by someone in the cockpit, The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday

dave wolfe

That backs up the assassination theory. On board allegedly was an infamous political operative.

Wanttaja

That backs up the assassination theory. On board allegedly was an infamous political operative.
The other story making the rounds is that the co-pilot was an experienced captain who had recently been demoted. And the pilot was the son of the man who demoted him.

Source of this story was an anti-China web page, so skepticism is in order.

Ron Wanttaja

bmcj

This is not the first time. There was an Indonesian based SilkAir flight 185 in 1997, and there was the FedEx flight that the (off duty) pilot tried to crash for the life insurance (the on-duty pilots were able to subdue him, but their severe injuries kept them for ever being able to fly again).

trimtab

While cockpit recorders, and their data, are available by agreement outside China, the motives and other details are not as likely to be known or be granted closure.

The earthquakes that flattened 5300+ kids in China were hidden for years from the public. And landslides that buried hundreds of kids were suppressed.... parents that were desperately trying to seek the fates of their kids were sanctioned just for carrying pictures of them and looking for answers. It was years before local officials were brought to token trials and sentenced.

The overwhelming pressure from the top down is to emphasize that everything is great and super happy and fun and that leaders are truly great people who are perfect at their jobs in China. I doubt any info coming out of China will really tell a satisfying story about what really happened. Perhaps the voice recorder can shed light on part of it from outside the country.

Bill-Higdon

The VASI was intentionally disconnected when the threshold was displaced, which happened when an obstruction in the approach path was erected. The angle may now be too steep to have it certified -not sure. The dynamics at this airport are nothing unusual and play out over 1000's of airports across the country where obstacles penetrate the 20:1 visual slope plane. That's why most of these approaches have been N/A'd at night. Like the one in Burley.

Dan makes a lot of claims and as usual offers little evidence. That goes along with the other YT experts that pontificate the failings of the gov. while never bothering to look at the nuts and bolts of approach design and FAA policy. Apparently none of the mouthpieces were paying attention between 2012 and 2013 when policy required ~16,000 non-precision approaches to have restrictions added because of obstacles.

There is apparently an airport master plan that calls for moving this airport, which could take years. There is also likely conflicting interest between the city and potato plant. The plant is likely generating a lot of income for the city. Airports are valuable as well but it's harder to show that on a leger sheet. If nothing else, maybe that process will be sped up, ya, ok maybe not.
Do you know how long that plan has been in the planning stage?

Turd Ferguson

Do you know how long that plan has been in the planning stage?
The Agglomerate Exhaust Stack was erected in Sept. 2017. The Part 77 obstruction study was done in Feb. of 2017 and reported at that time city planning was looking for a suitable site for new airport. So that report was over 5 yrs ago. Dunno if a new airport site has been located and/or if construction on another airport has started. Rough guess is could several yrs before a new airport is up and running.

I have a link to view the airport master plan but it's dead. I'll see if I can find out what happened.

Last edited:

PiperCruisin

I've done some city/county engineer and am currently on an airport board. Small town politics is horrible. It ends up kicking the can down the road because they don't want to fight land owner rights to do whatever they want, especially in Idaho.

We're trying to make some ordinance changes just to remind the city to comply with Part 77 and understand the ramifications of their decisions. Land owners and developers got all their panties in a bunch.