Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Maybe disorientation is a factor. However he was 'circling' in poor viz, and had just asked for the light to be turned up, only to be told they were at max. I suspect he was losing visual reference and turning hard to try to keep it.. too hard.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I think the video also suggested disorientation might have been a cause/causative factor. That seems, to me, to be highly likely. Indistinct horizon, in and out of IMC, sloping terrain, looking abeam or back for the runway--and all close to the ground due to the low ceiling and the need to remain in VMC.
Maneuvering close to the ground looks very different than it does with a little AGL. If you want to do it safely, it is necessary to practice at altitude and gradually work down to lower and lower altitude.

BJC

Marc W

C-172 went down at KWHP, Whiteman airport, where I learned to fly and VB hangs out. The airplane landed on the train tracks and was hit by a train moments after the pilot was pulled out.

Marc W

Should we assume you didn't learn anything new?
Safe assumption. The engine didn't quit running. It lost rpm and wouldn't make enough power to keep the airplane flying. The only indication he got on the gauges was the the fuel pressure dropped from the normal 43 psi to 37 psi. That doesn't sound like a big enough drop to reduce power that much. I don't know what ECU that Viking uses, but I wonder if it went into limp mode for some reason?

He was above a 10,000' ridge when it happened and turned toward an airport but he went in at 8,000'.

AdrianS

Safe assumption. The engine didn't quit running. It lost rpm and wouldn't make enough power to keep the airplane flying. The only indication he got on the gauges was the the fuel pressure dropped from the normal 43 psi to 37 psi. That doesn't sound like a big enough drop to reduce power that much. I don't know what ECU that Viking uses, but I wonder if it went into limp mode for some reason?

He was above a 10,000' ridge when it happened and turned toward an airport but he went in at 8,000'.
If it's an open loop system with no fuel pressure compensation, that drop in pressure would lean the mix by about 15%.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
It always cracks me up how so many things are 'miracles' to those who don't fly. Not that the pilot didn't do an outstanding job of course.

b7gwap

Anyone know any details about this CH750 Cruzer accident?

The mouth breathers in the press don’t know their butts from hot rocks and can’t even say whether it was on approach or departure. They report the name of the company that owns the warehouse he landed on, which gives us three possible locations, all near the runway. Sounds like the pilot is expected to survive with injuries. Too bad about his Cruzer.

if this one has been discussed already, sorry about that

b7gwap

Also, sorry for derogating the press, I find it hard to respect most of them. They seem to have a dearth of technical knowledge yet want to project themselves as the opposite. That would be forgivable if they didn’t seem to additionally all have a ghoulish desire to enrich themselves as a result of death and tragedy. Think Don Henley’s “Dirty Laundry” or Tool’s “Vicarious.”