Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Deuelly

Just to be clear, the Nieuport's registration was cancelled due to failure to respond to the 3-year re-registration requirement. Just an administrative action, not reflecting the owner or the aircraft.

Ron Wanttaja

I think the owner/operator choosing to fly the unregistered aircraft is the reflecting part.

Brandon

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
DC-3 departing Anchorage Int Airport experienced engine failure, makes emergency-gear up landing at nearby GA airport.

TransNorthern plane makes emergency landing at Merrill Field, no injuries reported

More news reporters (Joey Klecka and Beth Verge of Alaska's News Source) that do not know s...S...... something. "the plane is a 1952 manufacturer year aircraft that is powered by turbo propellers." Sure looks like a round engine to me.

Look for the following correction (not) in tomorrows edition.

the plane is a 1952 manufacturer year aircraft that is powered by turbo two engines with propellers.

The news service has been contacted and is looking into a correction.

bmcj

Supporting Member
Here’s a story that will have you shaking your head in disbelief. Read the whole story to the end… there are good details throughout.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
More news reporters (Joey Klecka and Beth Verge of Alaska's News Source) that do not know s...S...... something. "the plane is a 1952 manufacturer year aircraft that is powered by turbo propellers." Sure looks like a round engine to me.

Look for the following correction (not) in tomorrows edition.

the plane is a 1952 manufacturer year aircraft that is powered by turbo two engines with propellers.

The news service has been contacted and is looking into a correction.
Lol Alaska is plane crazy , they may be the only two people in the state that didn’t know that.
I’m sure they are being corrected by four-year-old children at this point!

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I had the impression I was first to call the attention to the error when I called the news department with the comments directed to the error. I suggested a Google search for DC-3 would produce many facts about the aircraft. Edit : DC-3s are commonly powered by two Wright R-1820 Cyclone engines. There are many variations of the basic design with power ranging from 700 hp to 1,200 hp and several manufactures under license.

I did not go to the company web site. It may be that the company does also operate a turbine powered DC-3. Edit: A visit to the company web site, https://transnorthern.com/home-1, does not show any turbine powered DC-3s but they do have a Super DC-3 that still has a round engine.

Google: Super DC-3

The Super DC-3 was a standard DC-3 airframe with major modifications. They stretched the fuselage, adding 39 inches to the nose section, and 40 inches to the rear cabin. This added six feet and seven inches of usable space. ... The first flight of the Super DC-3 took place on June 23, 1949.

Last edited:

Rhino

Supporting Member
The FAA registry does show it has turboprop engines, even though it doesn't, so I guess the reporters have a little bit of an excuse. It's also registered as an R4D-8, the Navy designation for the DC-3. The R4D-8 was built with P&W R1830 engines, also radials.

jlweltz

I believe BaslerAviation in Oshkosh, WI does convert DC-3s to turbine power among other mods and rebuilds they complete. A nice old plane made new again.