Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

bmcj

At our public use privately owned airport, the city has expanded (added lanes) to the expressway that crosses our runway approach. We had to displace our threshold because of it. The locals are very familiar with the layout, but we get a lot of training traffic from the big Class C commuter airport doing patterns without the hassle of a control tower. One day, one of the Tomahawks from the Class C school (the guys in the white button-down shirts and epaulets) came in too shallow and knocked over a passing furniture delivery truck.

Last edited:

Martin W

head up & locked fits a lot of accidents on the highways
So true ....

I had a neighbor who owned a small farm his whole life .... nice guy ... smart guy ... good driver .... but had a notorious habit of never looking both ways at uncontrolled railway crossings .... and there were lots of them in our area.

When he was 72 his luck ran out and his drivers side door got hit by a train killing him instantly .... his 2 passengers were badly injured but survived ... they both said they saw the train coming but the driver had his head up & locked

Martin W

And then there is this .... Helicopter hit by Train

The official report said
.... " pilot had a medical emergency and landed in the only clearing in the forest , which was a railroad track . When he heard the train coming he was unable to move the machine in time ".

He went on to have a successful career flying 10,000 hours in the rugged Canadian North .... then he retired and wrote his memoirs .... funny as heck to read ....

I was a new pilot and hired to ferry a Bell 47 to a remote mining location .... I used the railroad as a ground reference because it headed in the direction I was going.

Must have been something I ate at my last fuel stop because I started getting severe cramps so I straddled the rails with my skids .... idled everything down .... locked the controls and went outside .

Heard a train coming ..... but when you have explosive diarrhea it is impossible to stop it .... besides , I realized it would take me 2 minutes to get my rotor blades back up to speed and the train would be here before that .... so I made a feeble attempt to walk toward the train waving my arms to warn them.

The engineer saw me and the helicopter but it took almost a mile to bring it to a halt .... they slowly backed up to get me ... train was not damaged but helicopter was destroyed .

They made me ride outside the cab clutching a railing because when I was waving my arms at them .... pants down to my knees ... I managed to dump all over my clothing and they could not stand the stink in the tiny train cab.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
At our public use privately owned airport, the city has expanded (added lanes) to the expressway that crosses our runway approach. We had to displace our threshold because of it. The locals are very familiar with the layout, but we get a lot of training traffic from the big Class C commuter airport doing patterns without the hassle of a control tower. One day, one of the Tomahawks from the Class C school (the guys in the white button-down shirts and epaulets) came in too shallow and knocked over a passing furniture delivery truck.
Knocked it over ?
In my lifetime I’ve seen a few Wrecks where a train sliced through a semi truck van trailer.
They always seem to slice through them like a hot knife through butter, barely displacing the tractor at all ,and they’re going through the bottom hardest part of the van.
I always expected in the case of a soft aluminum airplane versus the soft aluminum of the top of the van it would pretty much be a big crumple of airplane and a bent piece of van.
I’m really surprised to hear the airplane will knock the truck over!

bmcj

Knocked it over ?
In my lifetime I’ve seen a few Wrecks where a train sliced through a semi truck van trailer.
They always seem to slice through them like a hot knife through butter, barely displacing the tractor at all ,and they’re going through the bottom hardest part of the van.
I always expected in the case of a soft aluminum airplane versus the soft aluminum of the top of the van it would pretty much be a big crumple of airplane and a bent piece of van.
I’m really surprised to hear the airplane will knock the truck over!
It wasn’t an 18 wheeler, it was a light duty box truck similar to a U-haul moving truck. I was not an eyewitness to the event, so there may have been some swerving involved too.

speedracer

We had an old man at the airport had crashed 6 planes. Behind his back he was called an ace. I think this guy qualifies too.
A friend of mine wrecked 3 airplanes before he got around to getting a pilot's license. He told me he thought getting the license made him a better pilot. One of his wrecks happened on the Oregon coast, landing on a beach, rolling into soft sand and nosing over. He had an 18 year old girl with him. He also had a wife and 3 kids at home. Thanks to Channel 2 News they knew about the crash before he got home - LOL.

Victor Bravo

He had an 18 year old girl with him. He also had a wife and 3 kids at home.
Sounds like the girl was the highest risk part of the entire flight. You can rebuild the airplane after nosing it over in the sand, but you might not be able to rebuild your skull after a cast iron frying pan and an angry wife!

TFF

I had a friend do that IFR. He was close to his home airport, so he had a good idea on where he was going to pop out, and there was an off ramp, so he was able to exit. He has a tape from ATC of his voice really high.

bmcj

News here reported that a Bonanza crashed last night 40 seconds after takeoff from Visalia Airport. Very little info coming out except that it was dark and foggy, people on the ground heard the crash but it took responders awhile to find the wreckage. Four on board, no survivors. It was registered to someone in Sacramento.

Bill-Higdon

General Aviation Accident...
(30/November/2021)
- United States of America
🇺🇸
:
A private Nieuport 12 7/8 Replica plane, registration N12GX, impacted open field terrain in Midland County east of Midland Airpark (MDD/KMDD), Midland, Texas.
The airplane sustained substantial damage and the two people onboard were seriously injured.
The aircraft's registration was cancelled back in March 2018.
- Photos: NewsWest 9
263152946_1606229013085335_7965531375517325487_n.jpg

Copied from Graham Lee Facebook page

Bill-Higdon