Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

wktaylor

RE the Iranian AF jet mishap mentioned earlier, where [2] pilots were ejected in a hangar [shelter?] and both fatally injured.

I came across these articles in Military.com. Sound familiar?

Part1
F-16 Pilot's Runway Death Forces Reckoning Over Tight Flight Hours, Training Gaps

Part2
The Air Force Knew It Had an Ejection Seat Problem, But Didn't Speed Up a Fix. Then a Pilot Died
The Air Force Knew It Had an Ejection Seat Problem, But Didn't Speed Up a Fix. Then a Pilot Died

challenger_II

Hugely staged. Notice the aileron cables are not connected, and the only way that wing would flop forward in that low-energy nose-over would be if the rear spar bolt was not installed!
These idiots should be shot!

Pure folly and tomfoolery (if ‘tom’ was spelled “dumb” and ‘fool’ was spelled “jackass” without the jack.

As much is some people try to create viral videos, I suspect this may be one of those attempts.

TFF

No, I think those clowns would have tried to fly it with the ailerons not connected. What I think is those guys though all planes were solid like an airliner and they could slam it into things.

flitzerpilot

That beautiful little T-Craft should have been someone's pride and joy, instead of being vandalised by morons for a video. Even as a set up I could hardly believe the utter stupidity and arrogance emanating from the main idiot who no doubt will have scores of teen followers who will think his attitude is right-on and cocks a snook at authority, ie. the 'FFA' as he terms it. It's all I could do to stop myself punching my computer screen. I agree: he should be shot. That would make a good video that I'd be happy to watch.

Arkan

No, I think those clowns would have tried to fly it with the ailerons not connected. What I think is those guys though all planes were solid like an airliner and they could slam it into things.
Might have done the world a favor if they had tried. Darwinism at work.... lol

wktaylor

A lot of USAF egress [ejection seat/equipment maintenance] shops have a motto, to the effect...

'Egress will be the last to let you [crew] down' [wink to the double-meaning].

In the 1980s an early F-15A suffered an ejection failure... forcing the pilot to ride the jet down... while he talked 'all-the-way'. The F-15 egress experts and maintainers have never let it happen again. Substantial changes were made... including a redundant ballistic-gas tube routing... and adding a canopy breaker to the top of the seat [just-in-case the canopy failed to jettison.. the seat would 'go-thru-it']… etc.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

BTW I've noted that lots of accidents lately have significant post-crash fire. Isn't it time to consider crash-worthy fuel systems... or at least systems that place fuel farther away from the crew/Pax areas?

Hmmmmm… this may be another good case for considering battery/electric-power systems.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
BTW I've noted that lots of accidents lately have significant post-crash fire. Isn't it time to consider crash-worthy fuel systems... or at least systems that place fuel farther away from the crew/Pax areas?

Hmmmmm… this may be another good case for considering battery/electric-power systems.
Using fuel with a flashpoint above normal ambient temperatures (Jet A, diesel, etc) would make a very big difference in this. Not 100%, but much safer than gasoline/avgas. But, that's a heavy lift.
An alternate history to consider: if diesel engines were made practical before spark ignition engines were. Then, somebody comes along and proposes engines using gasoline. "So if a quart of this stuff leaks out of a can or a vehicle in my garage, there a good chance the entire house will blow up? And if a tank ruptures in a crash any spill will set the scene ablaze if there's any source of ignition? Are you crazy??"

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
how do you fix a system with idiots at the top?.....they say the cream rises but maybe that is not true ....in any system or any fix.....
They didn't have the required parts needed to perform the inspection. Other than the pilot's short landing, the biggest failures here were committed by the Supervisor of Flight (SOF) and the Mission Element Lead (MEL), who improperly used the checklists and didn't consult the engineers at Lockheed Martin as the checklist suggests. There were also mistakes made in risk management during mission planning, but those were just another link in the chain of events. Those Lockheed Martin engineers would have informed them they were using the wrong checklist for the failures incurred, and that ejection was advisable. Had that happened, the mishap pilot would likely have survived just fine. The seat malfunction was a cascade event. There were not multiple faults in the system. The first fault caused all the subsequent faults, so there was only one fix needed. Ironically, had they instructed the pilot to eject, he would have done so at a higher altitude (2,000 to 3,000 ft AGL according to local procedure) where the seat failure would not have occurred, or that he would have had time to react to and correct in time to perform the required manual response. But in this case, the idiots weren't at the top. They were in the tower (SOF) and in the other F-16 (MEL). It should be noted that the tower never instructed the pilot to use the runway arrester cable. The SOF recommended it. He just happened to be in the tower at the time.

This is sort of a blast from the past. Shaw AFB was my first duty station. We had RF-4Cs back then though.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
That beautiful little T-Craft should have been someone's pride and joy, \
I agree: he should be shot. That would make a good video that I'd be happy to watch.
The Taylorcraft can be repaired. The morons cannot.

This is a case for capital punishment, although I would pay good money to have a couple of hours with a stun gun and a baseball bat with that fellow before the execution.

Another person I want to have a talk with is whoever sold a restorable Taylorcraft to people of that intellectual caliber.

Riggerrob

An underlying cause of that F-16 crash was too few flying hours for a junior pilot.
This reminds me of a similar problem that USN SEALS suffered a few years back. Due to the fast operational tempo, they were rushing SEALS through state-side refresher training and re-qualifications. Some re-quals were simply pencil-whipped because they lacked time in the syllabus to train properly. This resulted in some SEALS fighting Taliban with rusty or never-mastered skills.

Last edited:

challenger_II

I have often heard it stipulated that stupidity isn't curable: I have found this to be incorrect. 230gr of Pb, applied at 850fps seems to do a commendable job.

The Taylorcraft can be repaired. The morons cannot.

This is a case for capital punishment, although I would pay good money to have a couple of hours with a stun gun and a baseball bat with that fellow before the execution.

Another person I want to have a talk with is whoever sold a restorable Taylorcraft to people of that intellectual caliber.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I have often heard it stipulated that stupidity isn't curable: I have found this to be incorrect. 230gr of Pb, applied at 850fps seems to do a commendable job.
I hear my 900 fps does the job too. It's amazing what some people will do with old airplanes capable of being restored to flyable status. I've seen some that refuse to sell to other pilots, and later end up essentially consigning them to the trash heap. But most of the time I see this happen when a non-flying family member knows not what they really have when forced to dispose of assets left over from the death of a flying family member.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Hugely staged. Notice the aileron cables are not connected, and the only way that wing would flop forward in that low-energy nose-over would be if the rear spar bolt was not installed!
These idiots should be shot!
Should be against the law to do that! That looked like a good little T-Craft until an idiot and his friends touched it.

Daleandee

Gentleman ... I understand the frustration we all must feel for seeing something so grossly abusive and unwarranted occur. But I do think that publicly calling for the execution of such an idiot is a bit over the top.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If the buyer and seller reached a mutually-agreeable price, what's the problem with the new owner abusing an airplane like this? Perhaps airplanes are too cheap.