Crew: Two (One pilot on I/SP)
Capacity: 5 passengers
Length: 43 ft 6 in (13.26 m)
Wingspan: 47 ft 1 in (14.35 m)
Height: 14 ft 4 in (4.37 m)
Wing area: 278.5 sq ft (25.87 m2)
Aspect ratio: 7.83:1
Empty weight: 6,631 lb (3,008 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 11,850 lb (5,375 kg)
Fuel capacity: 564 US gal (470 imp gal; 2,130 L) usable fuel
Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney Canada JT15D-1B turbofans, 2,200 lbf (9.8 kN) thrust each

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Controversial diet guru and church leader Gwen Lara and her husband, actor Joe Lara, are among seven people presumed dead after a small plane crashed into a Tennessee lake, authorities said.

According to ATC records, the jet with the tail number N66BK took off to the northwest from the Smyrna-Rutherford County Airport at 10:53 a.m. Saturday.

Authorities said the 1982 Cessna plane left the Smyrna Airport at 10:53 a.m. Saturday. It crashed soon after takeoff, according to the news release. The National Transportation Safety Board was leading the investigation.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration website, no one on that flight was qualified to fly the plane. Joe Lara, 58, had a pilot's license but had not updated his medical certification since 2017. The medical certification is required every two years.

Brandon Hannah, another church leader with a pilot license, was on the flight, but he didn't have a certification for the Cessna 500 series, according to the FAA database.

Flight Path video:

From the data sheet and info from other sources, it appears that the plane was at max takeoff weight, with 7 people on board. I don't know what the weather conditions were at the time, but from the flight path, I would geuess that the pilot failed to maintain flying speed.

Richard

dwalker

Specifications (Cessna Citation I)
Data from Jane's Civil and Military Aircraft Upgrades 1994-95 [16]

General characteristics

Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney Canada JT15D-1B turbofans, 2,200 lbf (9.8 kN) thrust each

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Controversial diet guru and church leader Gwen Lara and her husband, actor Joe Lara, are among seven people presumed dead after a small plane crashed into a Tennessee lake, authorities said.

According to ATC records, the jet with the tail number N66BK took off to the northwest from the Smyrna-Rutherford County Airport at 10:53 a.m. Saturday.

Authorities said the 1982 Cessna plane left the Smyrna Airport at 10:53 a.m. Saturday. It crashed soon after takeoff, according to the news release. The National Transportation Safety Board was leading the investigation.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration website, no one on that flight was qualified to fly the plane. Joe Lara, 58, had a pilot's license but had not updated his medical certification since 2017. The medical certification is required every two years.

Brandon Hannah, another church leader with a pilot license, was on the flight, but he didn't have a certification for the Cessna 500 series, according to the FAA database.

Flight Path video:

From the data sheet and info from other sources, it appears that the plane was at max takeoff weight, with 7 people on board. I don't know what the weather conditions were at the time, but from the flight path, I would geuess that the pilot failed to maintain flying speed.

Richard
The weather that morning was cool and windy with some rain. I was headed to the lake myself until I woke up and saw the weather forecast was accurate and went back to bed. IIRC the low was 40deg and the high was in the mid-60's.

I saw a comment that the ATC recordings have the pilot reporting a mechanical failure.

The pic attached is from last year looking back into the cove at the Lamar ramp from the main channel. It seems like they may have been trying to make the main channel which is deep-20 to 40ft- but just did not make it that far.

Attachments

Last edited:

radfordc

Specifications (Cessna Citation I)
Data from Jane's Civil and Military Aircraft Upgrades 1994-95 [16]

General characteristics

Flight Path video:

Richard
Dan Gryder reported that the jet was at 300 knots before the crash. VNE is 250 knots. He speculates in flight breakup.

djmcfall

Saturday 05-29-2021 an out of State pilot crashed his Beech Bonanza coming out of Sulphur Creek ranch in the Idaho wilderness area. With only 2 souls on board he had tons of power to take off, but it is a one way strip and he elected to take off with a light tail wind, aborting too far down the strip. They both survived. Not sure of his backcountry training history but we have many pilots with little to no mountain flying training end up crashing in the Idaho back country. It is NOT forgiving. Get the training then fly with a mountain CFI or experienced mountain pilot into each strip you want to fly to BEFORE going at it alone. Mountain flying is a great experience, but you must get the proper training beforehand.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Not quite on-topic because the instructor did a perfect job, but a flight school 172 landed on a pretty crowded SoCal freeway yesterday evening in between the cars, rolled off to the side of the road... and didn't even scratch the paint. Even our sour-faced LA news vermin (who just love to zoom in on the sheet covering the body... remember that great song "Dirty Laundry") couldn't find anything ominous or frightening to say about it.

Good job, whoever you are!

Hephaestus

Saturday 05-29-2021 an out of State pilot crashed his Beech Bonanza coming out of Sulphur Creek ranch in the Idaho wilderness area. With only 2 souls on board he had tons of power to take off, but it is a one way strip and he elected to take off with a light tail wind, aborting too far down the strip. They both survived. Not sure of his backcountry training history but we have many pilots with little to no mountain flying training end up crashing in the Idaho back country. It is NOT forgiving. Get the training then fly with a mountain CFI or experienced mountain pilot into each strip you want to fly to BEFORE going at it alone. Mountain flying is a great experience, but you must get the proper training beforehand.

You had a bad day if Juan makes a video for ya.

Richard6

Not quite on-topic because the instructor did a perfect job, but a flight school 172 landed on a pretty crowded SoCal freeway yesterday evening in between the cars, rolled off to the side of the road... and didn't even scratch the paint. Even our sour-faced LA news vermin (who just love to zoom in on the sheet covering the body... remember that great song "Dirty Laundry") couldn't find anything ominous or frightening to say about it.

Good job, whoever you are!
Yes saw that video this eve on the network news, What a great job of flying.

Turd Ferguson

From the data sheet and info from other sources, it appears that the plane was at max takeoff weight, with 7 people on board.
To have enough fuel to get to FL it was likely overweight and at (if not exceeding) the aft limit. That would make for marginal pitch stability; i.e. hard to maintain altitude.
Oh, acceleration and turn after entering the clouds? Perfect setup for spatial disorientation. Based on the com exchange, this pilot did not bring his "A" game to the table. He was in over his head at brake release.

Riggerrob

Not exactly a crash....

Someone pushed the wrong button?

li=BBnbfcL[/URL]
Ever since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, Iran has struggle to get spare parts to maintain their American-made airplanes (F-5, F-14, Boeing 707, Bell helicopters, etc.). Recently, the Iranian Air Force has been replacing ejection seats in their F-5 fleet. They remove American-made ejection seats and replace them with Russian-made Zvezda seats. Finally! Iranian pilots no longer have to strap on personal (back) parachutes because Zvezda ejection seats contain parachutes in headrest boxes ... like most other modern ejection seats.
Perhaps those two deceased pilots got confused over different "handology" with new seats. Equally possible is that new seats wear installed incorrectly.

D Hillberg

To have enough fuel to get to FL it was likely overweight and at (if not exceeding) the aft limit. That would make for marginal pitch stability; i.e. hard to maintain altitude.
Oh, acceleration and turn after entering the clouds? Perfect setup for spatial disorientation. Based on the com exchange, this pilot did not bring his "A" game to the table. He was in over his head at brake release.
That's Tarzan for you. Anything beyond the vine is a dangerous thing