Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bill-Higdon

Riggerrob

bmcj

HBA Supporter

Pilot-34

Any chance the little Miami is considered navigable and suitable for a float plane landing?

It looks like she’s going to be able to get her license back.
Dealing with the bureaucracy that’s known for dealing by the rule it’s not too awful bad

Riggerrob

not a crash But there may have been barnstorming involved :)
I suspect that the FAA is invoking the concept of "leading by example." Martha demonstrated that she had the skills to fly under the bridge successfully. We can be sure that she surveyed the bridge many times before flying under it.
However, the FAA fears that she might set a bad example for young pilots who lack her skills.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Any chance the little Miami is considered navigable and suitable for a float plane landing?
No, at least not in that spot. Canoe traffic only in that stretch, snd even they have difficulty at times. It's at least another 10 miles further downstream before some very brave soul might remotely consider the possibility, but even then I highly doubt they'd try it.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
For BJC with reference to Martha Lunken's Bridge Flying and related grounding. Martha Lunken, our region's first lady of flying, is grounded. 'It's like being disemboweled'

When dealing with the FAA it helps to have a good cover story. You all know that you can't believe everything you hear from an airshow announcer and sometimes you can't believe your eyes but this is my true story. It is verified by the Detroit News account in the next day's paper.

Much like today's Sea Fair hydroplane races in Seattle where the Navy Blue Angles perform on a regular basis, Detroit MI had an airshow associated with the Gold Cup Races sometime in the mid to late 1950's. This was the first and only time I saw Curtis Pitts (Curtis Pitts - Wikipedia) fly an airshow routine.

According to the airshow announcer Curtis was flying a borrowed airplane because his aircraft, unintentionally, was landed inverted in a corn field while practicing the day prior. The announcer explained how "He realized he was in trouble when he looked down and saw dirt in the cockpit."
[That explaines why this is included under "Crashes in the News Thread. Feel free to quit reading here as the following is irrelevent.]

At the end of his airshow routine Curtis recovered from a snap roll about 30 feet above the river with the concrete and steel bridge about eye level dead ahead and rather than pull up he ducked under one of the center spans. The next day the Detroit News reported that he saw the the bridge deck was crowded with spectators and he knew that, for safety reasons, it was against FAA regulations to fly low over an open air assembly of people. Therefore the safest option was to fly under one of the 30 foot high spans. Apparently the FAA agreed.

The current bridge appears in the 1953 Houdini film where Houdini survives after being accidentally trapped under the river ice for nearly an hour. That (likely fictional November 27, 1906) incident reportebly occured from the much older original steel and wood bridge that burned April 27, 1915. Belle Isle Bridge (old) | Historic Detroit Trapped under the ice with Houdini

1619179210080.png

The bridge Curtis flew under was designed by Emil Lorch. the design specified called a concrete-and-steel structure 3,500 feet long, including approaches, with 19 spans and 30 feet of headroom for boats. It cost $2.635 million to build -- $35.8 million today, nearly five times more expensive than the original bridge.
Belle Isle Bridge (old) | Historic Detroit

Today, that span is officially the Douglas MacArthur Bridge, but most people just call it the "Belle Isle Bridge."

From MacArthur Bridge (Detroit) - Wikipedia

The MacArthur Bridge is a bridge that spans the Detroit River between Detroit, Michigan and Belle Isle. The bridge, which features nineteen total arches across 2,193 feet, provides main access to Belle Isle. Wikipedia

Address: 7200 E Jefferson Ave, Detroit, MI 48214

Total length: 2,193′

Clearance below: 30′

Construction started: 1909

Opened: November 1, 1923

Bridge type: Arch bridge, Deck arch bridge

Last edited:

TFF

It sucks, but come on in this day and age doing that? It’s automatic. That is not being aware of what has been going on in the last 10 years. 30 years ago it would have been a stink but you might have gotten away with nothing but still possible trouble. 50 years ago it would have been a chuckle. 80 years ago it would have been cheers. Has nothing to do with ability, but it has everything to do with judgment. Judgment in a time where everyone is judged life or death.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
That is my position on the event; apparently yours is different.

Feel free to explain your reasoning for invoking prayer per your post:

BJC
It boils down to control vs. free will. I am a free will kind of guy. So when the government suppresses free will I get peeved and when others side with the government It is just heaping on the peeve.

My wife says I am for the underdog, she knows me best. It is true that I would give my life for an ideal, I suppose it is hereditary as my ever so great grandfather answered first muster.

And it is so.

BJC

HBA Supporter
It boils down to control vs. free will. I am a free will kind of guy. So when the government suppresses free will I get peeved and when others side with the government It is just heaping on the peeve.

My wife says I am for the underdog, she knows me best. It is true that I would give my life for an ideal, I suppose it is hereditary as my ever so great grandfather answered first muster.

And it is so.
When meeting highway traffic in the USA, I stay to the right. Doesn’t mean that I bow down to government regulations.

BJC

viva_peru

Their crash was a major bummer. I had watched some of their videos and he used to post on occasion on the Pietenpol FB page. Seemed like a really nice couple; he was also a pretty talented musician as well. The had put up the Piet for sale to help fund the purchase of their next plane which turned out to be the Cessna in which they had the accident.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
For BJC with reference to Martha Lunken's Bridge Flying and related grounding. Martha Lunken, our region's first lady of flying, is grounded. 'It's like being disemboweled'
More bad news for Martha Lunken. The FAA is accusing her of turning off her transponder prior to her bridge stunt. They are hitting her with more sanctions.
More here: Bridge Stunt Leads To ADS-B Revocation - AVweb

Per the AVWEB article, the reg provides for revocation of certificates for:
+++++(++++
“operating an aircraft without activated transponder or ADS-B Out transmission (except as provided in 14 C.F.R. § 91.225(f)) for purposes of evading detection.” The section was added in a package of other amendments in January of 2020, just after ADS-B became mandatory in most controlled airspace and about two months before Lunken’s flight of fancy."
++++++++++++
Doesn't make me want to rush out and install ADSB-out.

Last edited:

speedracer

The local interstate bridge at Hood River, OR. has been flown under many times. A guy (lawyer) did it in a Pitts, lost his license for a year. Another guy (rich guy) did it in a T6..... inverted. Same thing, one year suspension. I watched a guy in an ultralight do it, got away with it. A local guy would do it regularly in his amphibian, usually with a passenger. "Want to fly under the bridge"? "Are you serious"? "Sure, hold my beer and watch this"! He'd water taxi at 50 MPH up to the bridge, pull it up about 6" off the water, fly under, the set back down. Great bragging rights for the passenger.