Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bill-Higdon

This is so sad. I watch Tango and Juliet videos on YouTube. Tango, Tim Gill, had just begun building his own airplane and had two videos of the him gluing up all the tiny pieces of a wing rib. The two of them flew either their Pietenpol, or a borrowed old Cessna around southern California making their videos for YouTube.
Their videos were light hearted and fun, just the opposite of how I now feel this morning.
hey also have a Peitenpol

challenger_II

Having an engine-out in a heavy bird, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts he landed as best he could, where he could. You weren't in the seat, when the fire went out.

Saved his aircraft(easy retrieval) and himself by ditching close to shore. Didn't give a dam of the beach goers. Should of ditched further out to sea!

Riggerrob

Yes,
That was a Grumman TBM Avenger that ditched in the ocean just off a California beach. TBMs entered service part way through World War 2. Retired President George Bush senior was flying an Avenger when grumpy Japanese gunners shot him down in the Pacific Ocean. President Bush bailed out of his stricken Avenger, bounced off the horizontal stabilizer and opened his parachute. A few hours later, a USN submarine surfaced beside him and took him to safety.
President Bush recounted his experience during the 1997 Parachute Industry Association Symposium. PIA presented him with a WW@-vintage seat type parachute and arranged for him to do an AFF jump a few months later.

D Hillberg

Yes,
That was a Grumman TBM Avenger that ditched in the ocean just off a California beach. TBMs entered service part way through World War 2. Retired President George Bush senior was flying an Avenger when grumpy Japanese gunners shot him down in the Pacific Ocean. President Bush bailed out of his stricken Avenger, bounced off the horizontal stabilizer and opened his parachute. A few hours later, a USN submarine surfaced beside him and took him to safety.
President Bush recounted his experience during the 1997 Parachute Industry Association Symposium. PIA presented him with a WW@-vintage seat type parachute and arranged for him to do an AFF jump a few months later.
Coco Beach Florida :fear:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Are my eyes decieving me? It looked like a Grumman "Avenger" to me.
Sorry, it may have been. I didn’t look that closely (or recently) at the photos, so I think I just threw the first name that came to mind for the general configuration. You know, kind of like all light planes used to be Piper Cubs, but now they are all Cessnas.

FLYADIVE - BARRY

Saved his aircraft(easy retrieval) and himself by ditching close to shore. Didn't give a dam of the beach goers. Should of ditched further out to sea!
Ya pays your money, you swim, ya takes your chances.
More swimmers have been killed by fish than by crashing planes.
What! The pilot doesn’t have the right to try to save their own life first?
**** not dam.

WARPilot

There are many factors to an emergency in an airplane. I think the pilot did a great job avoiding people and ditching close to shore to gIve him a better chance. Once he is interviewed the details of his decision will be known.

Marc W

I never heard of Tangoandjuliet until their crash and this thread. It looks like their Pietenpol is on Barnstormers.

O200 GN1 (Pietenpol) Aircamper
O200 GN1 (PIETENPOL) AIRCAMPER • $13,500 • CHECK IT OUT • EW 782, GW 1225. TTAF 80. Continental O200, Marvel Carb, Slick Mags, 148 STOH, 838 SMOH. CYL COMP: 78, 72, 76, 79. 2 Fuel tanks, 14 and 6 gals. TCraft wing (alum ribs). Cleveland Wheels/Brakes. Bendix/King KY97A. AGM Batt w/charging port, no ADSB req'd. All logs s/new, builder's records, plans. Hangared and flown regularly (times change). Fresh Cond. Inspection Jan 2021, w/A&P prebuy to share. Recent repairs due to minor ground loop: new right main wheel, fabric repair right wingtip. More info on request. A turnkey aircraft READY FOR ADVENTURE! Many vids on social media at Tangoandjuliet • Contact Timothy Gill , Owner - located Lake Forest, CA United States • Telephone: 7604814924 • Posted April 8, 2021 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Images

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Not sure I'd call that barnstorming. I know that bridge. You could safely fly several planes under it stacked on top of each other. Nobody said the FAA was logical. Maybe they're trying to be consistent or to set an example.

blane.c

HBA Supporter

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter

not a crash But there may have been barnstorming involved :)
This caught my eye:
A drone camera from the Ohio Department of Transportation spotted her.
Is that a camera on a UAV, or an unattended camera affixed on/near the bridge? Set up for this purpose, or to watch traffic on the road? Did they see her N number, or identify the particular aircraft by other means? Inquiring minds want to know the present state of surveillance to which we are subject.

She is in a bad spot, but she created the situation. I'm guessing she knows that very well. If I flew under a bridge and got caught, I'd expect to lose my certificate. I suspect we all would. This isn't a case like a traffic stop where a cop and you may be the only people who know of the incident and that gives him some "room for maneuver." On film, seen by camera operator and his supervisors, probably a dozen folks in the decision loop. From an organizational perspective, what's the safest thing to do?

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
She is in a bad spot, but she created the situation. I'm guessing she knows that very well. If I flew under a bridge and got caught, I'd expect to lose my certificate, I suspect we all would.
Had she planned the stunt and done it after having thought through all the ramifications, I would be OK with what she did, and what the FAA did to her.

But she did it on an impulse, and that makes it unacceptable to me.

BJC