Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bill-Higdon

Hephaestus

Final report on the kamloops snowbird crash. If anyone finds the DND report I'd love to see it - seems I can only find articles.

Birdstrike - but center section not destroyed, should have been able to be cleared (but not enough altitude/time)

Lot of focus on pilots "Pull the handle" instead of "Eject! Eject! Eject!" - not the rules/procedures that put them into that situation.

BJC

HBA Supporter
That is a harsh reminder that a pilot needs to have pre-determined minimums for turning back to land and for initiating exiting with a parachute. Will note that my minimums for exiting have changed dramatically as I have gotten older and less adept at getting out of the airplane.

BJC

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I don't belive in that mantra anymore...we need lighter and more efficient aeroplanes...much more efficient.
Yeah... more pedals and solar panels are the answer.

We have no evidence that this crash of a 182 had anything to do with its weight and efficiency.

Can you draw some statistical or other connection (however tenuous) between weight/efficiency and safety, please? Also I would be interested to know whether you have ever piloted a 182 or any other powered aircraft, or received any sort of flight training which might inform your assertion.

Andy Hughes

Saved his aircraft(easy retrieval) and himself by ditching close to shore. Didn't give a dam of the beach goers. Should of ditched further out to sea!

Wanttaja

Not much saved in salt water immersion. If he was truly concerned with saving the plane he would have landed on the beach.
Almost 20 years ago, a newly-restored Boeing Stratoliner (the last one flying) ditched in salt water off Seattle. It was hoisted out, cleaned, repaired, and flown to Washington DC for presentation to the Air and Space Museum.
1618760500739.png
Mind you, rumor within Boeing was that the clean up/repair afterwards cost more than the original restoration....

Ron Wanttaja

bmcj

HBA Supporter
How do you know what he thought? How do you know what he saw?
I’m sure part of his point was that almost anyone would be tempted to stay as close to shore as possible to avoid the possibility of drowning and maybe to make aircraft recovery easier.

Also, spotting swimmers in the water can be difficult, and I’m sure a Dauntless must be a bit blind looking down and forward while in landing altitude, and I doubt he had been able to overfly and scout for swimmers. It looked to me that he had crossed over the top of one swimmer just before touching down,and none of us can be sure if his momentary pitch up was intentional or if he had even seen the swimmer. Either way, it was fortunate that his energy carried him past the swimmer.

Do you recall this event?:

Larry650

Someone pointed out that this was the duo that produces the Tango & Juliet YouTube channel.
This is so sad. I watch Tango and Juliet videos on YouTube. Tango, Tim Gill, had just begun building his own airplane and had two videos of the him gluing up all the tiny pieces of a wing rib. The two of them flew either their Pietenpol, or a borrowed old Cessna around southern California making their videos for YouTube.
Their videos were light hearted and fun, just the opposite of how I now feel this morning.