Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
I could never understand the logic of flying with a wing that can collapse on a whim of the wind or weather let alone on the merest hint of airborne abuse or mismanagement by the pilot. Even the most experienced in our midst make mistakes but if the wing is rigid at least you have a chance of recovering, especially at low level. Not so if you're a paraglider as we see time after time on Youtube.

I agree. It is ridiculous the amount of mishaps I have seen on the Tube. Excellent point you made as well.

Yellowhammer

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I could never understand the logic of flying with a wing that can collapse on a whim of the wind or weather let alone on the merest hint of airborne abuse or mismanagement by the pilot. Even the most experienced in our midst make mistakes but if the wing is rigid at least you have a chance of recovering, especially at low level. Not so if you're a paraglider as we see time after time on Youtube.
So, if fixed wing pilots wear a backpack with a parachute in it, do parasailers wear a backpack with an airplane in it? It seems the safe thing to do.

Marc W

Plane crash near Silt, CO yesterday afternoon in rough terrain. Three people with serious injuries. Maybe a C-172. The airplane is broken up pretty bad.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Plane crash near Silt, CO yesterday afternoon in rough terrain. Three people with serious injuries. Maybe a C-172. The airplane is broken up pretty bad.
It sounds like all three survived. I hope it was a 172, because if it was a 150, I can probably take a good guess at the cause of the accident.

gtae07

Didn't some 150s and 172s have a small child jumpseat in the baggage area?

There was that case of an RV-10 that went down at night with five adults on board...

Riggerrob

The rear seat in Cessna 150 is placarded for a maximum of 50 pounds ... therefore only a child can legally sit in the baggage compartment.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could be just about anytime since the introduction of the Bensen design. Lots of Bensen builders thought they could teach themselves to fly a gyro, and most of them had a similar outcome.
With the small video camera mounted on the gyro, it has to be fairly recent, from the GoPro era.

I have watched too many Youtube videos of paragliders getting seriously injured and or going on some wild rides before they finally caught a break and became untangled in their cords.

Seems awfully unsafe to me.
No, just unsafe pilots or flying in unsafe conditions.

A modern paraglider flown in reasonable conditions won't collapse at the "merest hint of airborne abuse or mismanagement." If you fly on a rowdy day you might get a minor collapse, but 99.9% of the time it reinflates instantly, you might not even realize it's happening until it's over. It's happened to me probably a half dozen times over maybe 300 hours of powered paragliding. But those aren't the videos that make it onto youtube.

A paraglider collapse at 500' is a lot more likely to be survivable (and even a non event!) than a stall/spin in an airplane from the same altitude.

From numbers I looked at some years ago when I was into it, I concluded that while a paraglider pilot is more likely to, say, break an ankle than an airline pilot, their chance of dying is about the same.

So, if fixed wing pilots wear a backpack with a parachute in it, do parasailers wear a backpack with an airplane in it? It seems the safe thing to do.
Paraglider pilots often carry a hand thrown reserve parachute. Parasailers, aka "dope on a rope", are the people who get dragged aloft in a parachute by a boat after one too many beers in Cancun.

radfordc

Who knew planes could fly so high?

Not a crash, but the 777 engine failure. Ding bat reporter kept saying the incident happened while the plane was "thousands of miles in the air"

Someone must have clued her in as later videos have the word "miles" dubbed to "feet".