Quantcast

Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
So what we're learning here is that we should not test fly an aircraft if there is a concrete curb near the runway?

How come that's not in the instructions?

Oh wait... Page 1 of the Common sense Manual.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Well at least he had the sense to park a car across the road to block traffic. Safety first, you know!

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
This is agree with, 100%. As far as learning "how" to avoid a crash, I have doubts.

I know it's always good to agree with everyone, don't makes waves, etc, but when it comes to safety I leave ego at the door. If people want really good dialog on crashes, which is a seriously great discussion in our hobby, what is it we would learn?

Like many people I've read a lot of reports and articles. I came to the conclusion there's not a single article I've read where I actually learned something I didn't already know. On accident reports I've read often times I walk away thinking "what moron would do this in an airplane?" Like running out of fuel, turning back, low altitude showing off, etc etc. I'm sure you'd agree.

Ok, now let's talk mechanical errors. Sure, there's a little bit of learning but most aircraft engine technology is ancient, it's been hashed over a million times and pilots need to read and study BEFORE flying. And of course there's the mechanical anomalies that nobody can predict. Tough to learn from those.

Weather causes accidents. Where's the learning here that's not common sense?

I suppose there's always the accidents that are a series of multiple poor decisions, those are very specialized and hard to learn from. If the pilot died it's almost always speculation.

I'm not trying to upset anyone, I enjoy hard core stimulating dialog. My points are valid and worth discussion if people are truly interested in safety and not just getting thrills from reading death reports.

Can anyone list the top 5 reasons a homebuilt airplane crashes with a 100% fatality? I would like to see that list.

It is typically the systems that fail.
Then I would say pilot and or builder error is next.

Wanttaja

It is typically the systems that fail.
Then I would say pilot and or builder error is next.
Not by my analysis....
1611254478275.png
The "Control Group" in this case is a combination of Cessna 172s and 210s, excluding training accidents.

This is from my presentation next week for EAA's virtual "Homebuilders Weeks," folks who are interested might sign on....

Ron Wanttaja

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Not by my analysis....
View attachment 106629
The "Control Group" in this case is a combination of Cessna 172s and 210s, excluding training accidents.

This is from my presentation next week for EAA's virtual "Homebuilders Weeks," folks who are interested might sign on....

Ron Wanttaja

Mr. Ron,

Thank you for the education sir as I was shooting from the "hip". I value your contributions to our community and appreciate the time you took to inform me of this information. You are a gentleman.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Yellowhammer

JohnBouyea

Eagle Point, Oregon crash & burn. 2 self-extract from wreck and expected to recover. Cause yet unknown. 1611494313544.png

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
1/19/2021 Aircraft Emergency (paraglider into trees/power line)
34018 Orleans Road
Albany, OR

View attachment 106754

from Log in to Facebook

I have watched too many Youtube videos of paragliders getting seriously injured and or going on some wild rides before they finally caught a break and became untangled in their cords.

Seems awfully unsafe to me.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
If one person learns a lesson from an accident, and at a point in the future survives because of it, then the death has some meaning.

I'll admit that many folks discuss accidents out of morbid curiosity or the desire to gossip, but feel there's often value in discussing accidents anyway.

Ron Wanttaja

AGREED!

rollerball

I have watched too many Youtube videos of paragliders getting seriously injured and or going on some wild rides before they finally caught a break and became untangled in their cords.

Seems awfully unsafe to me.
I could never understand the logic of flying with a wing that can collapse on a whim of the wind or weather let alone on the merest hint of airborne abuse or mismanagement by the pilot. Even the most experienced in our midst make mistakes but if the wing is rigid at least you have a chance of recovering, especially at low level. Not so if you're a paraglider as we see time after time on Youtube.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Eagle Point, Oregon crash & burn. 2 self-extract from wreck and expected to recover. Cause yet unknown. View attachment 106790
I like rag and tube truss structures for crash survivability.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Time out for me as I take time to speak a few words of wisdom learned after many years of flying.

My dad bought a plane when GA had business benefits. My mom did not like flying (or swimming) because she thought it was dangerous.

Many times I was asked why do you want to fly in those dangerous planes?

I struggled for many years to find an answer to her question. It is fun. It is challenging. It is useful. I like the view. It teaches me about the weather. It puts the world in prospective. It teaches dicipline. It is a challenge, It gives a satisfying sence of accomplishment. It surves a purpose for myself and/or others. It is a good job. It is a privalage that many want and few have. It pays well. etc., etc,. etc,.

Then one day the real reason came to me. Up to that day I had not accepted the idea that airplanes are dangerous. Everybody had been telling me how safe flying was and is. Accident statistics point out that you could fly thousands of hours without an accident, that flying was safer than driving to the airport, that airplanes were safe but flying into bad weather was dangerous if one was not properly trained. That may have all been true but it hid the real truth. Flying is an activity that is inherently dangerous. Operating an aircraft is a dangerous activity.

Purchase a TV and the instructions will point out the danger of electrical shock and of the falling hazard and need of secure instillation. Their may be a warning about the content of programs and instructions on how to protect your children from inappropriate information. The daily programing will warn of the danger of fake news and disinformation or of "disturbing content". But, go to the airport and you will be greeted by a smile. TSA officials will be insuring your safety. Once on board you will be given a safety briefing. You will be told what to do for "your safety and the safety of others".

Once I admitted that operating an aircraft is dangerous, the reason for my flying was clear. It is the job of the pilot to operate the aircraft safely. The reason I am involved in aviation and flying is because I believe that by doing so I can make flying safer for both myself and for others.

There is a difference between safer and safety. Safety implies that you have done all that is possible or necessary. The job is done. Safer implies that it is a work in progress, that there is more to do. That is the reason I like to fly, to make flying safer for myself and for others. It is something to strive for and the better I perform the more pleasurable the flight.

I expect this is the reason many pilots fly even though they may not realize it yet. Think about this the next time you get into a cockpit and say to your self. what can I do to make this flight safer. Do this and I think your flight will be more enjoyable.

Happy flying!