Quantcast

Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
ARLINGTON, Wash. - One person died when a small plane crashed late Thursday in Snohomish County.

According to the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office, deputies were called to the area of N. Cedarvale Loop Road to the report of a plane crash.

When deputies arrived, they found one person who had died at the scene. It was unclear what may have caused the crash.

No further details have been released.

jedi

Follow on from prior post # 3901 above:

Flight ended about 40 minutes after sunset. I expect it was black at that time. There should have been valley lights but there were likely cloud issues also. No clue as to intended destination or reason for the trip.

Last edited:

Wanttaja

Follow on from prior post # 3901 above:

Flight ended about 40 minutes after sunset. I expect it was black at that time. There should have been valley lights but there were likely cloud issues also. No clue as to intended destination or reason for the trip.
Destination Harvey Field in Snohomish. Was at Tacoma Narrows for a transponder install. Called his SO at 3pm, stating it was done and he'd be heading home soon. She called me at 7:30, and I contacted the FAA to get the machinery moving.

From the track, I suspect he encountered weather and diverted north, either to try fly around it to get home, or to divert to Arlington.

Ron Wanttaja

Wanttaja

...I contacted the FAA to get the machinery moving....
One lesson out of this should be taken to heart by all of us.

If a plane is overdue, what number do you call? Not just "who", but what telephone number?

Last night, I called 911, assuming they'd either connect me or give me the right number. They gave me a number for the FAA...which turned out to be the normal office, shut down after business hours. Googling "Reporting missing aircraft" was no help. I found a 24-hour number for the NTSB, and called that. They told me to call the FAA, but didn't have a number. I remembered my old CAP days, and called the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center. Helpful sergeant there gave me the number for Seattle ATC, where the man on-duty took down the information and issued the Alert Notice.

As many of you are aware, I support on-line discussion of accidents in hope that we might learn something from them. My lesson for you today it this: Please do the research NOW so you know who to call if you have to get a search started.

Ron Wanttaja

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Looks like the aircraft was bought about a year ago.
Ron Borovec hosted the Roadable Aircraft forum at Airventure for years.

jedi

I drove the route from AWO to RNT about 2 hours prior to the crash. Weather was OK but there were showers and convergence zone issues. Many showers earlier and later but my trip was dry.

I agree with Ron. I consider the probable cause as ADSB instillation and certification requirements and advoidance of Class B airspace. Harvey is within the 30 mile vail. AWO is not. AWO and BVS would both be a suitable alternate. The track reminds me of someone unsure of position. Does any one know if he used a GPS in any form.

Was ADSB instillation test complete? Did he have an agreement to operate without ADSB?

jedi

Looks like the aircraft was bought about a year ago.
Ron Borovec hosted the Roadable Aircraft forum at Airventure for years.
BB: Thanks for the info. Sad to hear that. I did not recognize the name.

Ron: Whenever I call the FSDO the first thing on the recording is what to do if you are reporting an accident or crash. I will have to dial it again but I think the last time I called it said to dial 911.

Edit: Seattle FSDO recording says dial 206 231 2000 to report accidents or safety issues. That was about one minute into the recording. Phone answered with a person and she said it was a 24 hour number. I relayed the above narrative about the dificulties. Mesa FSDO says dial 1.

Last edited:

Wanttaja

I drove the route from AWO to RNT about 2 hours prior to the crash. Weather was OK but there were showers and convergence zone issues. Many showers earlier and later but my trip was dry.

I agree with Ron. I consider the probable cause as ADSB instillation and certification requirements and advoidance of Class B airspace. Harvey is within the 30 mile vail. AWO is not. AWO and BVS would both be a suitable alternate. The track reminds me of someone unsure of position. Does any one know if he used a GPS in any form.

Was ADSB instillation test complete? Did he have an agreement to operate without ADSB?
The pilot was very cognizant of the ADS-B/Transponder rules; at a chapter Zoom meeting a week or so ago, he inquired about the process to get a waiver so he could fly from Snohomish to Tacoma Narrows for the installation. Last night, trying to get more information on his status, I ran a PAPR on his airplane. The report was passing, with the exception of both the barometric and GPS altitude information.

Ron Wanttaja

pictsidhe

Banned
One lesson out of this should be taken to heart by all of us.

If a plane is overdue, what number do you call? Not just "who", but what telephone number?

Last night, I called 911, assuming they'd either connect me or give me the right number. They gave me a number for the FAA...which turned out to be the normal office, shut down after business hours. Googling "Reporting missing aircraft" was no help. I found a 24-hour number for the NTSB, and called that. They told me to call the FAA, but didn't have a number. I remembered my old CAP days, and called the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center. Helpful sergeant there gave me the number for Seattle ATC, where the man on-duty took down the information and issued the Alert Notice.

As many of you are aware, I support on-line discussion of accidents in hope that we might learn something from them. My lesson for you today it this: Please do the research NOW so you know who to call if you have to get a search started.

Ron Wanttaja
That's shocking. 911 is THE emergency number. They really should have the numbers for every emergency.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I think you can call Flight Service* 24 hrs. to report an overdue aircraft. They know what to do.
Doing touch and goes I saw a plane crash after engine failure. So I called Flight Service on the radio to report a crash at the airport. They asked that I return the call after I got down to check the pilot. Paramedics got there at the same time.

* 1-800-WX BRIEF (I think)

Last edited:

jedi

I tried 911 for an aviation emergency a few weeks ago and gave up. on it. I was attempting to get a message to the PAE tower with a no com capability. 911 is about 50% (or less) effective in my book.

He could have used transponder to declare an emergency if there was no voice capability but doubt that would have helped much.

1 800 WX BRIEF = 800 992 7433

pwood66889

Cessna 150 missing in Pacific Northwest

Being from the West side of the Rockies I wouldn't have dreamed of flying in that weather
Flown SLE to TTD many times. The Estacada area is quite rugged - Clackamas River runs through there. Sad.

Bill-Higdon

Cessna 150 missing in Pacific Northwest

Being from the West side of the Rockies I wouldn't have dreamed of flying in that weather
Remains of missing father and son found at plane crash site near Estacada

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I think you can call Flight Service* 24 hrs. to report an overdue aircraft. They know what to do.
Doing touch and goes I saw a plane crash after engine failure. So I called Flight Service on the radio to report a crash at the airport. They asked that I return the call after I got down to check the pilot. Paramedics got there at the same time.

* 1-800-WX BRIEF (I think)
^This.

Rosco P. Coltrane at your local 911 call center may or may not have any idea what to do.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The recent CAP crash at my home field a week ago has just resulted in a Los Angeles city councilwoman starting a discussion about shutting down the airport.

So I sent her an absolute ass-burner e-mail this evening, the exact opposite of a "measured and reasoned response" intentionally.

This tactic was used because I wanted her to get the impression that reasonable people will quickly become unreasonable when the airport is threatened, and she won't be able to just weasel her way out of the bad juju and get away with a bunch of press coverage. I felt there needed to be a clear and unpleasant "downside" for her to weigh her publicity campaign against, where she could see bad PR, bad public reaction, and bad political fallout.

If anyone is interested, or has a similar threat against their airport, I will be glad share a copy of the ass-burner e-mail that anyone can plagarize as needed.

Turd Ferguson

I found a 24-hour number for the NTSB, and called that. They told me to call the FAA,
Well that part is sad because as a pilot one is required to learn 49CFR Subpart B, Section 830 pertaining to NTSB notification regarding overdue aircraft. It says the operator of a civil aircraft shall notify nearest NTSB office - by the most expeditious means available - anytime an aircraft is overdue and believed to have been involved in an accident. And the best response they can come up with is call the FAA???

Sounds like a typical gov. bureaucracy where nobody wants to accept any kind of responsibility.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
VB -

Did she understand the irony of shutting down the airport because a national defense/safety asset crashed? That's as dumb as defunding the police during a riot...

Also found out this CAP pilot was one of my fellow flight test department managers.

pictsidhe

Banned
VB -

Did she understand the irony of shutting down the airport because a national defense/safety asset crashed? That's as dumb as defunding the police during a riot...

Also found out this CAP pilot was one of my fellow flight test department managers.
Hey, imagine how many houses could be built on something like an airport. I bet that 'lady' can.