Quantcast

Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Word on POA is that they had an engine failure in IMC. ATC was probably trying to get them to Whidbey as the nearest airport.

Ron Wanttaja
If that were the case news broadcast should have much more information than is available. Indications on news reports are that there was no flight plan. Do not know N number, departure, destination or home base.

TXFlyGuy

Fatal crash here in the local North Texas area...

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The CAP Cessna 172 crash at Whiteman Airport was on the TV news last night. Big fireball took out a couple of parked cars, so I do not suspect fuel starvation. The pilot reported engine failure on final approach to the airport, and the last transmission was "I hope I can stretch it to the runway".

The big question on everyone's mind here (I am based at the same airport, KWHP) is how far out from the airport did he realize he had a problem.

We have four miles of solid houses and city between the main inbound reporting point (Newhall Pass) and the airport. If you know you have a problem when you get to Newhall Pass, it's a high risk decision to continue, because of exactly this scenario. There are several far more survivable and more appropriate places to the north of this pass to go into if things get quiet in the airplane.

That being said, I have also identified a few potentially survivable places between Newhall Pass and KWHP to go for if that situation happened to me:

- We have two major freeways that were within gliding distance at some point on his approach (I-5 and state Route 118). Definitely not pretty and definitely will result in a TV news fiasco, but a much more controlled crash.

- We have a set of railroad tracks that runs along the final approach path that would have been better than where he did land. But if he was coming form the other direction (a left base leg to runway 12) these tracks would have been 100 feet further away than the runway.

- We have two large open grass areas, one is a city park, and one is an open field with big power lines crossing over the middle. The park would significantly damage the airplane but again it would be a more controlled crash. The open field would be do-able with minimal damage to the airplane, you would be well under the power lines rolling on the ground.

- We have the LAPD driver training facility and skid-pad that is right next to I-5 at the 405 freeway split. There's 600-700 feet of straight pavement there, and if you got everything right you could possibly skid in there and stop without damaging anything.

I have not walked on, or landed on any of these spots. It's very easy to point at them, puff up my chest and say I could land safely at these places, but it ain't happened and I'd rather it not happen.

My condolences to the CAP and the family of the pilot who was lost yesterday in this crash.

stevel

The audio is on You-Tube. He made his first call at six miles straight in, and the engine out was about half-way to the airport from there, I'd guess 2.5 to 3.5 miles out. The audio is also very clear, so you may be able to recognize/rule out who the pilot was, if you haven't already got that news.

stevel

How far was the crash from the runway?
About 150-200 feet from the perimeter fence. There's some video that shows him tangling with the power-line, and it appears that he was already pretty slow when he hit it. A very small amount of additional altitude would have gotten him over the line and over the fence.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
He was so close to making it that the decision to offset over to the tracks Would have needed to be made pretty quick. I did not see the video but heard him hit and saw first smoke plume. I was walking to tte bathroom at end of The hangar row at that very moment. We all thought it was a car crash at first. Wonder if carb ice was possible since he likely flew in from higher altitude from Bakersfield to Clear the Tajon pass and stayed there until over the SCV. Maybe let down without carb heat

Attachments

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
IF...IF...he was 2.5 to 3 miles out when the engine problem happened, he would have been right over two of the three potential landing spots that I had mentioned. And able to land on I-5 or the 118 freeway.

But if he had partial power, it would have been a tough call to make, deciding between guaranteed wrecking the airplane (freeway or city park) and just maybe barely gliding back to the runway without a scratch. I will be very interested to know how far out he was when he realized the engine had gone. I have hundreds and hundreds of landings at this airport.

Not a lot of moisture in the air yesterday if I recall.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Yes, it isn't practical to judge a long final glide from miles out. I would pick a spot nearby and circle overhead and do a close in turn to final and land.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Landing in a city park is like landing on a swimming beach. A good chance you could hit and kill an innocent. A road is more likely to wreck the plane, but at least most innocents there have steel cages around them.

Bill-Higdon

Jetliner hits brown bear while landing in southeast Alaska

Bill-Higdon

French Jetman Vince Reffet Killed in Training Accident

Bill-Higdon

Cessna 150 missing in Pacific Northwest

Being from the West side of the Rockies I wouldn't have dreamed of flying in that weather