Quantcast

Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Looks like a Velocity down in Florida
Looks like a loss of power with subsequent forced landing in an open field.
Incident Velocity Elite RG N78BM, 06 Oct 2020

The same Velocity RG departed the runway during a takeoff roll in January. Subsequent nose gear collapse with reported substantial damage.

2020 has been rough (so far). Still, some folks got an extra helping of 2020.

radfordc

Ultralight, huh? Something tells me the reporter doesn't have a full grasp of the subject.

TFF

A friend went down in a field in a Zenith that had no road access. The word got out, the fire department response was like an airliner went down. He and his friend are in a field watching he trucks go around and around trying to find a road in. He said lucky we weren’t hurt.

A local told the FAA his downed LSA plane was a UL and they left. He did have about ten wrecked ULs behind his hangar to match that reputation.

Marc W

I visited the crash site of the Cessna 210 on the Grand Mesa. The area is all cleaned up. The airplane landed on a straight going up hill at a good angle. It came to rest at the end of a fairly level stretch of dirt alongside the road. There is about a 20' skid mark where it exited the pavement. It looks like it would have been from the right wheel. The pilot must have locked the brake on that side, maybe to get off the highway. There aren't any skid marks in the dirt so the airplane must have been rolling the whole time. The airplane stopped 400' from where the skid mark left the pavement. There is a broken off highway sign base just a few feet before the burn scar. I don't know what kind of sign it was but I wonder if the impact with the sign is what started the fire.

All in all it looks like the pilot did a good job. I don't know how the pilot and passenger got all the broken bones. The airplane stopped just as the highway curves to the right. It could be that the pilot wanted to land before the curve and had a little to much speed when he touched down. Then the touchdown was uphill so the landing impact may have been violent enough to break some bones. I don't know how hard a 210 can land before it breaks the gear but it doesn't look like the gear failed. It is puzzling.

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon