Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Marc W

I was on my way up to the Grand Mesa in Colorado this evening to look for elk and we passed the burned wreckage of a light plane on the shoulder of the road. All that was left was the tail section. I looked it up when we got home and found the news report with a short video of it in flames. The pilot and passenger survived and are in the hospital. Two Injured After Plane Crash on Grand Mesa

We did see elk and season opens Saturday!

Marc W

The airplane was a Cessna 210 and the couple flying it were returning to Casper, WY. Both are seriously injured with burns and broken bones and were flown to Denver for further treatment.

I don't know how the crash developed. Witnesses heard the engine failing. The decision to land on the highway had pluses and minus's. A big minus is there was a lot of Sunday traffic on the highway with people out to see the fall colors and so there were a lot of cars to dodge. I didn't see any skid marks at the crash site. I suspect he stalled it and spun in from low altitude probably because of cars in the way. The plus is that there were people there immediately to pull them from the wreckage and there was even a nurse present who was able to start treating them.

There are plenty of meadows around to put an airplane into. Not much of it is level and smooth so the outcome of a landing there isn't certain. And there probably wouldn't be anybody around to help. But there aren't a bunch of cars in the way either and the pilot should be able to do as Bob Hoover recommended and fly it through the crash.

pictsidhe

The airplane was a Cessna 210 and the couple flying it were returning to Casper, WY. Both are seriously injured with burns and broken bones and were flown to Denver for further treatment.

I don't know how the crash developed. Witnesses heard the engine failing. The decision to land on the highway had pluses and minus's. A big minus is there was a lot of Sunday traffic on the highway with people out to see the fall colors and so there were a lot of cars to dodge. I didn't see any skid marks at the crash site. I suspect he stalled it and spun in from low altitude probably because of cars in the way. The plus is that there were people there immediately to pull them from the wreckage and there was even a nurse present who was able to start treating them.

There are plenty of meadows around to put an airplane into. Not much of it is level and smooth so the outcome of a landing there isn't certain. And there probably wouldn't be anybody around to help. But there aren't a bunch of cars in the way either and the pilot should be able to do as Bob Hoover recommended and fly it through the crash.
What's the landing speed of a 210? On a busy highway, there is absolutely no way to land safely if you are faster than traffic. You'd have to get lucky and land in a hole. If slower, people will brake as they see you coming down.

Speedboat100

Banned
What's the landing speed of a 210? On a busy highway, there is absolutely no way to land safely if you are faster than traffic. You'd have to get lucky and land in a hole. If slower, people will brake as they see you coming down.

Cessna can be landed very safely onto open road...done here too. Looks like uphill to me...that is more difficult.

Marc W

Please do. I live 12 miles down the highway from the crash site and fly over the Grand Mesa often. I have also walked around on it a good bit. Since I have a deep distrust of all mechanical devices, I always think about where to make a forced landing. That stretch of highway is not attractive. Uphill or downhill and around the curve.

Marc W

That is high country. There are several "fourteeners" in that area. We haven't had any weather lately. The winds could be a factor though.

Hephaestus

I'd think an airline FO wouldn't likely screw up the hot & high in less familiar terrain.

But I could totally see finding a downdraft - you don't get a lot of practice reading turbulence clearing the rockies in the flight levels... But just a cursory look in the background...

Marc W

How high did that Cessna 210 Colorado landing attempt happen ?
Where the 210 went down is just shy of 10,000'. Unfortunately they were off the top a little. They would have had better options if they had been over the top of the Mesa. The top is more level and more open.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Looking at the lack of a long scar, may have nosed in.
I took that fact in a different direction since most of the aft plane was intact. I figured he was either trying to land upslope after a loss of power, or he was dragging it in slow trying to climb and avoid terrain. That can still lead to it nosing in, but with lower speed and lest drop distance. The outboard left wing is wiped out, so it may have rolled off in the last few feet of altitude and done a half-cartwheel... enough to smash the wing and then the nose before stopping.

Hephaestus hit on another very real possibility... a downdraft on the lee side of a peak could also result in a slow, nose high scenario trying to outclimb the sink.

Last edited: