Quantcast

Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wktaylor

Found an old [2010] podcast with insight-filled discussion that is generally relevant to this thread...

What You Care About May Predict If You’ll Crash.
Bill Rhodes is a philosopher who studies moral psychology. He’s also a pilot who’s leading a research study that’s turned up some striking data on why some pilots are more likely to wreck airplanes than others. It turns out what you care about may be more important than what you know or how skilled you are in the cockpit.

https://www.avweb.com/multimedia/podcast/what-you-care-about-may-predict-if-youll-crash/

Hephaestus

Harmon rocket down near edmonton.

Yes not in the article, heard through grapevine...

Going to be interested in the investigation here... Another one of those really high time, highly proficient guys lost - seems odd.

Tiger Tim

Jeez that Sonerai sure is a good reminder of the importance of a roll over structure. Shades of Tadayashi Koga there. Hard to believe a fatal accident happened in an airplane that looks like it could be restored and flying again by next spring.

Chilton

Not so long ago there was an accdent in the Southampton areain the UK, a harvard turned over on landing, the canopy was part open and the roll structure sank into soft ground, the pilot was dead before onlookers reached him, but the aircraft damage was so minimal it was flying again within weeks of being released back to the owner. From memory it was engine and prop changed and sent for overhaul, replace the vertical tail and that was it.

Personally I would Not touch a plane which has killed a pilot but many others seem to feel different.

TFF

Depends on the plane. A Harvard would be a good reminder on danger. At my airport there is an unflown Jodel project that has issues, but it also had an engine and other stuff from a Jodel that did kill someone on the airport. I wouldn’t touch it.

wktaylor

KC-130J mid-air with F-35B... 29 Sep 20 ~1600 local, central California... KC-130J crash-landed in a farm field & F-35B pilot [ejected]... all survived!!!

This is a side view only, but the spinners are visible on the LH side. You might try “kc-130j crash images” in a google search bar…
https://abcnews.go.com/US/marine-35-jet-crashes-clipping-wings-refueling-plane/story?id=73325534

Listen To Intense Air Traffic Control Audio Of KC-130J's Collision With An F-35B
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/36809/listen-to-intense-air-traffic-control-audio-of-kc-130js-collision-with-an-f-35b

Last edited:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
KC-135J mid-air with F-35B... 29 Sep 20 ~1600 local, central California... KC-130J crash-landed in a farm field & F-35B pilot [ejected]... all survived!!!

This is a side view only, but the spinners are visible on the LH side. You might try “kc-130j crash images” in a google search bar…
https://abcnews.go.com/US/marine-35-jet-crashes-clipping-wings-refueling-plane/story?id=73325534

Listen To Intense Air Traffic Control Audio Of KC-130J's Collision With An F-35B
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/36809/listen-to-intense-air-traffic-control-audio-of-kc-130js-collision-with-an-f-35b
Well, that ’invisible plane’ HUD system, the see-all radar system and the touted global awareness capability of the F-35 sure didn’t help much here!

PagoBay

Good training tool for non-towered field. Everyone survived.

San Marcos Texas - Sept 24 2020 - 15 min after Tower closed. VASaviation clip with radar + radio Lots of YouTube comments with poor knowledge of rules and regs.

See comments in Kathryn's Report for more details.

Tiger Tim

At my airport there is an unflown Jodel project that has issues, but it also had an engine and other stuff from a Jodel that did kill someone on the airport. I wouldn’t touch it.
Academically I understand all is good, but that would bother me too.

Starflight

Saskatchewan..."GO RIDERS"(pride)where's my banjo?
Why did no one mention the small power line that was broken at the approach perimeter (Harmon Rocket)? The aircraft type might have contributed to problems with glide path control (high sink rate). Also did not see any plastic 'line markers' on that 25-30 foot high obstruction. Never knew the type of
airplane (not mentioned in initial coverage).