Quantcast

Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I have some bad news for general aviation, experimental aviaiton, and electric flight. Forgive me if someone else has posted this, I just heard about it tonight leaving my home airport.

Jackson Edwards, known as "Farfle" on the back country pilot aviation forum and perhaps also on this forum, passed away last Saturday. He was the young man who built a Belite and developed a really neat electric power system for it. The aircraft had flown several times as an electric pwoered aircraft, and recently he had switched back to a 2-stroke gasoline engine. Perhaps for comparison, perhaps because he was not happy with the electric system.

Apparently on the first or one of the first flights, the 2-stroke quit on him after takeoff, and (exact circumstances unknown) he crashed just off the runway. Jackson was 27 years old, and was positioned to be a tremendous asset to electric flight, experimental aircraft, and flying in general. This is a big loss for us, a younger guy with significant talent and capabilities.

I did not know him, but Aram (his partner in a C-172) is based as my home airport, and is a member of our EAA chapter.

Bill-Higdon

I have some bad news for general aviation, experimental aviaiton, and electric flight. Forgive me if someone else has posted this, I just heard about it tonight leaving my home airport.

Jackson Edwards, known as "Farfle" on the back country pilot aviation forum and perhaps also on this forum, passed away last Saturday. He was the young man who built a Belite and developed a really neat electric power system for it. The aircraft had flown several times as an electric pwoered aircraft, and recently he had switched back to a 2-stroke gasoline engine. Perhaps for comparison, perhaps because he was not happy with the electric system.

Apparently on the first or one of the first flights, the 2-stroke quit on him after takeoff, and (exact circumstances unknown) he crashed just off the runway. Jackson was 27 years old, and was positioned to be a tremendous asset to electric flight, experimental aircraft, and flying in general. This is a big loss for us, a younger guy with significant talent and capabilities.

I did not know him, but Aram (his partner in a C-172) is based as my home airport, and is a member of our EAA chapter.

He will be nissed:(

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Just in... plane goes down in Sequoia National Forest (or Park). News reports are all over the place. One reports that they are searching for the wreckage with no additional info, one says it happened at 11am and the pilot (only occupant) was rescued from Golden Trout Wilderness area and taken to the hospital, and yet another says that it was a Bonanza that departed Visalia Airport at 11am with two onboard and neither survived.

just a side note to this, there is a large wildfire not too far from this location and the visibility in the area is obscured by smoke.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Just in... plane goes down in Sequoia National Forest (or Park). News reports are all over the place.
OK, all of the stations and reports seem to have coalesced into a single storyline now. The plane was a BE35 Bonanza flying out of Visalia for Needles. Two pilots aboard, departed YESTERDAY at 11am and failed to arrive at their destination. The searchers found the wreckage at 8am this morning. There were no survivors.

It’s amazing that this didn’t make the news until 2pm today (27 hours later), and the reported details were so vastly different from each other. Of all the reports, one station seemed to get most of the details correct, but did they have a reliable source or were they just running with here say? Another station gained a little respect from me by just repairing a very headline only (plane down in Sequoia Forest) with a promise to give further updates as they come in.

Swampyankee

I have a warm spot in my heart for the BAe 146, since I got a nice 5-week stay in the UK while BAe was clearing the engines' ability to deal with icing in altitude conditions. The NGTE, in Pyestock, was definitely cool (hey, I'm an engineer), as was the plant in Hatfield, where BAe's apprentices were building a replicla DH.88.

BAe 146's flew into my neighborhood airport for a while. They were much quieter than the bizjets that make up all of the current jet traffic.

Speedboat100

He just recently fixed his plane. Apparent snow damage.

belitedamage.jpg
belitefixed.jpgbelitejackson.jpg

Can you tell if the cause is there or in the new engine ?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Just in... plane goes down in Sequoia National Forest (or Park). News reports are all over the place. One reports that they are searching for the wreckage with no additional info, one says it happened at 11am and the pilot (only occupant) was rescued from Golden Trout Wilderness area and taken to the hospital, and yet another says that it was a Bonanza that departed Visalia Airport at 11am with two onboard and neither survived.

just a side note to this, there is a large wildfire not too far from this location and the visibility in the area is obscured by smoke.
Reporting discrepancy solved. I did a little searching on the net and found that a couple of minor news outlets covered the disappearance story the day before. The bigger local outlets got wind of it more than a day later after the plane had been found.

Rather than actually doing the legwork to gather details, it becomes obvious to me that these bigger (local) news outlets simply did an internet search for their story because each of the wrong accounts reflect the details from earlier crashes. They rushed to press instead of taking time to look at the byline date which would have told them that they were looking at the wrong story.

Never take anything the news reports for granted.

pictsidhe

Reporting discrepancy solved. I did a little searching on the net and found that a couple of minor news outlets covered the disappearance story the day before. The bigger local outlets got wind of it more than a day later after the plane had been found.

Rather than actually doing the legwork to gather details, it becomes obvious to me that these bigger (local) news outlets simply did an internet search for their story because each of the wrong accounts reflect the details from earlier crashes. They rushed to press instead of taking time to look at the byline date which would have told them that they were looking at the wrong story.

Never take anything the news reports for granted.
Huh. I've found the media to be pretty accurate. Except on topics that I know a little about.

There are a lot of undated stories out there. That is particularly shoddy journalism IMHO.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I know I might get keel-hauled for this from the moderators, and I will refrain from mentioning politics per se, but the misbehavior and politicization of the press/media is by far the biggest threat to our right to fly (and our entire way of life in this country) that there has ever been. Shoddy reporting, which has been a fact of life around general aviation since the beginning, is now the least thing I'm worried about with the press.

Last edited:

pictsidhe

Some countries are better than others.
Hmmm, scratch that. Some countries are not as bad as others. Some countries insist on their media retracting BS stories. Others don't.

Bias in the media is known as 'propaganda'. When there is systemic and widely different reporting available on a certain topic, at least one of them must have 'accuracy issues'.

There ya go, no fingers pointed at any particular group of people.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
News: I'm not sure how to fix it, the problem is us. When viewers/listeners (not many readers left) choose to consume the news that makes them happiest and best fits their world view, then we shouldn't be surprised if we get "news to please." And if folks want bumper-sticker 30 second hit pieces and can't be bothered with long-form journalism that gives background and context-- things won't get better.
The world's not a simple place.

Dennis DeFrange

HBA Supporter
Correct . Fabricating to project in your own vision and to cause harm is not journalism . The guilty should be extracted and never allowed to be involved in destroying our well being in the future . There again , common sense can weed out the idiots in the media but it's obvious that so many have missed that train . Be careful what you listen to . It's intentional BS and suckers take the BAIT .

Speedboat100

They are indeed. But they will kill you with no hesitation if you try to take liberties with them.

Even a wind turbine prototype may try to kill you.

I had possibly 4th test being done and luckily I had a helmet.

450 rpm ( 200 km/h ) 2.4 kg blade/wing knocked me down like Mike Tyson.

PagoBay

FB is "news" right??
Anyway.... For your next ground school instruction session, show this clip and ask your students to explain what happened. Answers should include "known knowns", "known unknowns", and "unknown unknowns". Bonus points for "unknown knowns". Humor courtesy of D. Rumsfeld, former Sec of Defense.