Quantcast

Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Marc W

Uh, OK, VB. Anyway I guess I misread the story. I was thinking it was a RR-II. Since it's a IV, mount the 4360!

wktaylor

Flying over SoCal in single engine 'slow-movers' I have encountered many odd sites.... but was able to get enough time to focus [safely] and sort-out what I was seeing.

Speculation: pilots were seeing a tethered or free-drifting balloon that was made to look like a man-in-a-jet-pack... or that the balloon was sagging/collapsing such-that the quickly passing pilots' minds interpreted the sight as a high altitude jet-packer.

Hephaestus

It doesn't say "near miss"!!
faa definition
A near midair collision is defined as an incident associated with the operation of an aircraft in which a possibility of collision occurs as a result of proximity of less than 500 feet to another aircraft
If 300' or so is ballpark accurate - it's a near midair.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
If 300' or so is ballpark accurate - it's a near midair.
"The pilot said the man was flying with a jetpack at 3,000 feet and only about 300 yards away from the plane, Airbus A321. "

Not 300 feet. Not near miss. Not close encounter.

300 yards is 900 feet unless this was in California then we can't be sure. What would Polish (Sp?) say? Look at my fancy hair (blow job).

Hephaestus

You Americans need to adopt the metric system 🤣 y'all have too many unit choices!

Missed yards - but at that distance how would they know it was a jetpack? 300' you'd have a good view yards - that's a ways off.

Riggerrob

Flying over SoCal in single engine 'slow-movers' I have encountered many odd sites.... but was able to get enough time to focus [safely] and sort-out what I was seeing.

Speculation: pilots were seeing a tethered or free-drifting balloon that was made to look like a man-in-a-jet-pack... or that the balloon was sagging/collapsing such-that the quickly passing pilots' minds interpreted the sight as a high altitude jet-packer.
I have seen party helium balloons drifting at 3.000 to 5,000' over Pitt Meadows. Some kid in Vancouver was crying over a lost party balloon.

Riggerrob

T-18 attacks hangar:

Reminds me of an accident circa 1990. A guy was hand-propping an Ercoupe when it roared across the grass runway and plowed into a hangar on the other side. Fortunately the hangar protected the ultralight sheltering inside and Mr. Clumsy returned the next week to repair the hangar.
And spectators wonder why so many non-electric airplanes have glider tow hooks bolted to their tailwheels?????