Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

roxburg

I don’t know much about the Murphy Moose, but a friend of mine was an aerobatic show pilot and was asked by the Murphy factory to fly a demo in the Murphy Renegade during a show in Florida. Being unfamiliar with the plane, he flew a conservative routine. On the back half of a loop, the entire upper wing leading edge folded up and back from the front spar. He was low over trees and had full up elevator to keep the nose from tucking. He got out of the plane but was in the trees before his chute was fully inflated. IIRC, he ended up with breaks to his legs and ankles. A later review of the design showed that there was too much insupported wing structure forward of the spar (the spar was set further back in the airfoil compared to most common designs). This was the early days for the Murphy line, so this design issue may have been corrected since then.
Murphy Aircraft has been building aircraft kits for 35 years. The Moose is their largest model and at 3500lb gross with 6 passengers it is a bit bigger than a Cessna 180. They have not experienced very many crashes as their aircraft are all homebuilts. Even this most recent accident seemed to be more related to the engine stopping rather than any air frame structural failure. Just another sad accident and loss of life.

Hephaestus

Murphy Aircraft has been building aircraft kits for 35 years. The Moose is their largest model and at 3500lb gross with 6 passengers it is a bit bigger than a Cessna 180. They have not experienced very many crashes as their aircraft are all homebuilts. Even this most recent accident seemed to be more related to the engine stopping rather than any air frame structural failure. Just another sad accident and loss of life.
Just heard through the grapevine this was Keith. Met him more than a few times up at Villeneuve, enough to know his name (I'm terrible at remembering names). This one surprises me again. We've lost a few too many of the good names in Alberta in the past few years.

Wanttaja

Relatively small number of Murphy Accidents in my 1998-2018 US accident database: 41. Only one related to structural failure, and that was a Renegade where no conclusions were reached (CHI01FA186).

Accident causes and rates were roughly the same as the overall homebuilt fleet. Slightly higher rate of "Builder Error," but nothing pointing to issues with the airplane.

Ron Wanttaja

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member

AdrianS

Relatively small number of Murphy Accidents in my 1998-2018 US accident database: 41. Only one related to structural failure, and that was a Renegade where no conclusions were reached (CHI01FA186).

Accident causes and rates were roughly the same as the overall homebuilt fleet. Slightly higher rate of "Builder Error," but nothing pointing to issues with the airplane.

Ron Wanttaja
Homer Simpson said:
Facts are meaningless.
You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Cessna 206 and deHaviland Beaver collide over Idaho lake, no survivors.

That’s where legendary engineer Burt Rutan flies amphibs out of. Crossing my fingers hoping he’s never involved.

Almost got hit by a Beaver about 15 years ago. Flew out from under me at an angle right to left at like 100 feet. Too close for comfort.

djmcfall

More Cessna 172s produced in the world than any other aircraft. They are a good basic trainer. Great 2 place aircraft that can handle 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children as long as you watch density altitude.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Looks like that collision between amphibs in Idaho killed Golf Pro Sean Frederiksen and his 3 kids.

One of those killed in the other plane was Kelly Kreger, long-time personal assistant to Col Bud Anderson who flew the P-51 named ‘Old Crow’ during the war.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
One of those killed in the other plane was Kelly Kreger, long-time personal assistant to Col Bud Anderson who flew the P-51 named ‘Old Crow’ during the war.
Doesn't surprise me. That area is extremely talent dense. Almost any crash will involve an accomplished person or someone with an immediate connection to someone who is.

PagoBay

FAA routinely rejects NTSB recommendations. That's one of the things the FAA does right.
Is the failure to implement "Pilot Database" showing exam success AND fails along with employment history is one of those? Why would that be a bad idea?

We lost a fine C172 due to incompetence. No injuries. Probable cause was failure to keep Carb Heat on. Pilot was low power and at low altitude on a sight seeing tour flight with engine rough. Said he put the Carb Heat on and when nothing got better with the engine after a few seconds, he put it back to cold. Engine quit.

Later I was talking about this C172 loss with a FSDO guy who did Guam's ATP check rides. He was adamant that such pilots need to be taken out of the system.

Last edited: