Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aerowerx

This Russian hover-bike made me cringe the first time I saw it fly several years ago. It seems like it is just looking for the opportunity to slice off the operator's legs. It is amazing this crash didn't turn out like a horror show scene. IMO: that guy was lucky to not be injured.

Flying Hoverbike Crashes During Demonstration
You have to be careful how you read news articles.

From what I can tell, he did not "plummet from 100 feet". Maybe he had trouble controlling the thing., but he certainly wasn't in free fall, and was only a few feet off the ground when he hit.

If I was going to build such a thing, I would have at least 5 blades, not four, and six would be even better. And I would have a computer system do the actual flying with the rider/pilot just telling the computer where he wanted to go.

Daleandee

"Build Yer Own Crash" - Avweb's Paul Berge with his annual Stupid Pilot Tricks article. Homebuilts get their share.
I have a folder on my computer titled, "Don't do anything dumb" and this AVweb article was just added to it.

Here is a sample from my folder;

I'm not trying to point fingers as I've done some stupid stuff myself ... but rather trying to learn from the mistakes of others.

Hephaestus

I seriously hope the RCMP lost their SFOC over this...

If you're operating manned and unmanned rotorcraft in the same area - shouldn't there be some communication and coordination?

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Well that is the first time that I have been taken seriously this year.

BJC
My reply wasn't serious either. But that may be the pilots excuse to the FAA.
I once had an upside down Cessna owner tell me his throttle was stuck.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Good eye Henryk, that may be what brought him down. I couldn’t see that on the second cam view to confirm, so I remain open minded about whether it was a bird strike or just a coincidental bug in the camera’s foreground.

David Moxley

Log Member
Looks dangerous
This Russian hover-bike made me cringe the first time I saw it fly several years ago. It seems like it is just looking for the opportunity to slice off the operator's legs. It is amazing this crash didn't turn out like a horror show scene. IMO: that guy was lucky to not be injured.

Flying Hoverbike Crashes During Demonstration
Looks dangerous as H@ll to me!