Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TXFlyGuy

Here is a good illustration of the airport location, and the crash site.

Last edited:

steveair2

Log Member
Thanks guys,
I feel bad for the builder JD.
JD is the last remaining member of the four or five man build team. Almost twenty years build time to see fatal crash on second or third test flight.

Last edited:

RogFlyer

HBA Supporter
2 light aircraft crashes in Oz today (Sunday 5th April 2020). One on the Gold Coast (just south of Brisbane in Queensland). Lost power on take-off, clipped power lines, lost tail and crashed, caught fire. The pilot died, passenger seriously injured. No info on what type of plane, other than "recreational" and the tv report was that the pilot had an RAA recreational license but this could be inaccurate.
2nd crash was a crop duster, in Corndale, approx. 200km north and west of Brisbane. Pilot managed to get out of the plane, moderate injuries. Again, no info on cause or what make of plane.

Pops

Log Member
I know a pilot that has run out of fuel 4 times and crashed 2 times. One of the running out of fuel was flying a twin from FA at night and ran out of fuel over the southern WV mountains and just happen to be over a rare field big enough to land the twin. He is also a flight instructor that doesn't know the difference between a master switch and a mag switch. Now fly's freight for Fed-X.
Just think, someday you may be getting on an airliner and he may be in the left seat.

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Now fly's freight for Fed-X.
Just think, someday you may be getting on an airliner and he may be in the left seat.
To put you at ease, nobody ever leaves FedEx to go to another major carrier.

That P-51 Mustang (Galveston Gal) crash a few years ago, in Galveston Bay, with a passenger onboard was piloted by a FedEx pilot who lived pretty close to me.

Pops

Log Member
To put you at ease, nobody ever leaves FedEx to go to another major carrier.

That P-51 Mustang (Galveston Gal) crash a few years ago, in Galveston Bay, with a passenger onboard was piloted by a FedEx pilot who lived pretty close to me.
Maybe not in TX.

Pops

Log Member
If he is flying for a feeder, he is not getting payed like big plane Fed pilots, but he gets a free shot at the big time interview.
Yes, He should have been weeded out by the feeder but they haven't YET.
My grandson has a better job than a high time Captain of the majors. Should be a law against it. Grand papa's come first.
The multi billionaire's international vacationing family is staying close to home the last few weeks and he just had one flight last week.

David Moxley

Log Member
I know a pilot that has run out of fuel 4 times and crashed 2 times. One of the running out of fuel was flying a twin from FA at night and ran out of fuel over the southern WV mountains and just happen to be over a rare field big enough to land the twin. He is also a flight instructor that doesn't know the difference between a master switch and a mag switch. Now fly's freight for Fed-X.
Good God ! The sad part of that is he will probably kill someone else that along for the ride. Just isn’t right, sooner or later his luck will run out.

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
If aircraft manufacturers would just stop making their aircraft out of thin and lightweight aluminum and composite materials, we wouldn't see such extensive damage resulting from simple collisions and impacts with the ground.
It would also have the added effect that we would stop seeing them fall out of the sky too.

Bille Floyd

If aircraft manufacturers would just stop making their aircraft ...
OR ...
If god would stop giving flying lessons , to stupid people ; ...

Was flying with a buddy, in a Piper Archer, from Bolder city, to
Lake Havasu Az one day, and we were lined up over Lake Mohave
heading south, ; then i asked him : "if the engine cuts out
where ya gonna set her down" ?
Answer : "in the lake; hopefully near the shore line".

He had No clue, there was an abandoned airstrip across from
cottenwood cove, on the Az side ; I knew because i had landed
there with my Hang glider a bunch years back. I also knew every
available landing aria , along the flight path ; BEFORE i ever launched
in the glider.

Why do GA motor-heads , think it's OK , to fly over stuff
without a back-Up landing aria ? I (Never) do that, when i
fly Hang gliders, Paragliders, or sailplanes !!!

Bille

Toobuilder

Log Member
Where's the alternate landing area when you are over the Everglades, or the Gulf of Mexico, or midway between Florida and an island in the Bahamas, or the Rockies, or the Grand Canyon, or...

These are all places my wife and I have been in our airplane, and though I'd certainly prefer a nice smooth landing area under us at all times, the reality is that it's not possible if you actually "use" an airplane as transportation.