Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

The real question here should be why didn't he land at Van Nuys and limo thru the mountains. The obvious reason is he thought he could get thru. VB can probably tell us how long the limo would take.
I can tell you that answer easily :) :45 to an hour in mild traffic.

I can also tell you that if you're a billionaire or movie star (or sports legend) running around Hollywood and LA like a king or the Pope, nobody wants to say no to you. Way too much money and connections and networking at stake. So if there is any way you can push and shove and "re-interpret" the rules to make that VIP happy, you will.

Michael Jackson's former doctor will verify this, the cops who respond to "domestic disturbances" at celebrity houses will verify this, the child protective services workers who went to Joan Crawford's house in the '50s will verify this, the cops who had to quietly question Paul Lynde after an "acquaintance" of his jumped out of a hotel in San Francisco in the 60's can verify this (and the cops that showed up at his house after he OD'd and died of a heart attack during a bedroom romp... and another acquaintance had left the house in a hurry... can verify this), and the doctors and nurses at a famous hospital who had to treat injuries sustained by well known actors during some lewd parties can verify this, and I won't tell a couple of other stories that would get me thrown off this forum on my keester.

Our cops and our judges and our hospitals are used to all this around here, the same way the cops and judges are used to things around company mining towns or company towns around large military bases.

Last edited:

Riggerrob

Yes victor bravo,

And the original mission of naval "shore patrols" was to ensure that all sailors were back aboard their ships for morning muster.
Local police soon learn that it is far easier to allow brawling sailors to settle their own dis-agreements, then wait for "shore patrol" to arrest the loser.
Hah!
Hah!

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Boy how times have changed. The base guards are so aggressive that base commanders give out their cards now to make sure their men get home without getting DUIs at the base gates.

If drunk sailors are caught by the guards it makes the commander look bad to his own command.

But the punishment is often very creative. I recall going by the liquor store near the Naval Exchange in Norfolk and seeing sailors standing guard in front of the liquor store entrance as punishment. It wasn’t about protecting anything, it was to humiliate them and make sure everyone saw them being punished.

Everyone knew the sailors standing guard at the liquor store were the drunks and screwups.

tralika

View attachment 93164
Merritt BC last night. Pilot was cut out and in hospital last update I saw.
News report indicates the crash occurred around dusk and was not discovered until after midnight when the police were looking for the pilot after a missing person report had been filed! That's a long time laying out in the cold with serious injuries.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/missing-person-report-leads-police-to-plane-crash-at-airport-in-merritt-bc/ar-BBZYHdw

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
News report indicates the crash occurred around dusk and was not discovered until after midnight when the police were looking for the pilot after a missing person report had been filed! That's a long time laying out in the cold with serious injuries.
Not enough G's to set off the ELT? Inop ELT? Old style 121.5 ELT that don't result in a SAR response anymore?

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
If it flipped over on the nose the pilot could be trapped inside with relatively little G forces applied.

That’s the reason crash training includes “open the door latch” before contact. To make sure the door isn’t pinched closed by a bent fuselage.

The wind will keep it shut until impact, and it will probably swing open at that point.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Some Googling indicates the ELT is required to activate at an acceleration of 5gs along the acft longitudinal axis, sustained for 11 microseconds.
That plane's nose looks very crunched up, it doesn't look like a simple nose-over to me.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Pretty sure a stall and subsequent nose in doesn't.
Nose ins aren’t caused by stalls. A nose in occurs when the nose wheel digs in on soft ground. This is why you are supposed to taxi with the nose in the air on rough fields.

I'd venture, from the looks of the plane, it was anything but controlled.
Almost completely intact with the nose wheel dug into the ground.

If he made an uncontrolled landing that happened to land on the gear with no input, then he should go start his own cult. The lord has clearly chosen him.

Group Builder