Crashes in the News - Thread

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Question for Ron W about the statistics in your magazine article about crashes related to maneuvering at low altitude: does the aerobatics category include crashes that occurred in airshows?

Thanks,

BJC

Wanttaja

Question for Ron W about the statistics in your magazine article about crashes related to maneuvering at low altitude: does the aerobatics category include crashes that occurred in airshows?
No. In all my analyses, I omit accidents that occur during airshows or during races, even if the aircraft themselves are registered as Experimental Amateur-Built.

Ron Wanttaja

Victor Bravo

A-36 Bonanza crashed and burned bad today at Corona, CA killing 4 people, including Joe Zingali, of Zinger Propellers (R/C models).

UNVERIFIED #1- Early news reports on TV said it bounced on and off the ground a couple of times on a takeoff run, staggered into the air, but went through the fence of the end of the runway.

UNVERIFIED #2-One local pilot who is a friend of a TV news helicopter pilot said the helo pilot had heard they aborted one takeoff, taxied back, and tried again with fatal results.

The amount of black smoke shown in the TV news clips, and the "eyewitness" reports of it immediately bursting into a large fireball seem to indicate it was full of fuel.

RIP Joe Zingali, you were a big part of a lot of people's love for model airplanes, myself included.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Sad to hear about Zengali.

Elsewhere, there was a firefighting C-130 that went down fighting the Australian wildfires. Early news reports indicate it was crewed by three Americans.

litespeed

Yes,

A Coulson C130 fire bomber working in the Snowy Mtns area fighting huge fires.

Sadly 3 dead. We have lost a lot of lives fighting fires and protecting lives and assets. These are mega size fires and the season it at least 4 months before it ends.

very very sad.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Steven Andelin, one of the Red Bull racers crashed during a practice in Guatemala today. He was reportedly killed, as well as some spectators on the ground.

WARNING: last few seconds of the video pans across to show two of those victims.

[EDIT] Modifying the YouTube links to one that has a less gruesome static image, but leaving the original link for those that may want the full video (that seems to be a bit more in focus, too).

Original video with graphic images

Last edited by a moderator:

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Steven Andelin, one of the Red Bull racers crashed during a practice in Guatemala today. He was reportedly killed, as well as some spectators on the ground.

WARNING: last few seconds of the video pans across to show two of those victims.

sZEMBOzoiTA
The YouTube link here appears to show those victims in the static preview. I recommend changing the video to a simple link instead of a embedded video on your post, or just the plain text of the link address.

gtae07

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-news/breaking-die-small-plane-crash-coweta-county/pnqJDVN9x6hFEhiMKFXxHL/

Mustang 2 down just outside Senoia. We drive on the noted highway on the way to see my parents and can picture the site in my head. Was initially worried this was a guy I know from FFC with a Mustang 2, but it turns out this aircraft was just purchased in Florida (not that it makes it better...)

Not to speculate, but it sounds like picking up a passenger from a grass field, at night, in a new and unfamiliar homebuilt...

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-news/breaking-die-small-plane-crash-coweta-county/pnqJDVN9x6hFEhiMKFXxHL/

Mustang 2 down just outside Senoia. We drive on the noted highway on the way to see my parents and can picture the site in my head. Was initially worried this was a guy I know from FFC with a Mustang 2, but it turns out this aircraft was just purchased in Florida (not that it makes it better...)

Not to speculate, but it sounds like picking up a passenger from a grass field, at night, in a new and unfamiliar homebuilt...
Your speculation would be wrong, since the article states that the crash was on Saturday afternoon.

It was not a rookie pilot:
https://www.newsairshow.com/headlines/2020/1/25/vgg9m6gpvizky2eoffr51pre400i92?fbclid=IwAR3DNMXNkeCmQhSJqYNXPLyG-lD8YAw9Wj5uIv9gXjzQFOiDpUKemK5QF6k

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The YouTube link here appears to show those victims in the static preview. I recommend changing the video to a simple link instead of a embedded video on your post, or just the plain text of the link address.
Thanks... that’s not the image it originally showed me. I’ve added a new video in the original post and reported the video to the mods to have the first one converted to a link since I couldn’t figure out how to do that in Xenforo.

Last edited:

GTX_Engines

This is a terrible accident, I am very sorry for the dead and the friends and families left behind.

But there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for people on the ground being killed like this.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Killed his teammate's son in the crash as well. That guy must be in a world of hurt right now. Lost his partner and his son in the same crash.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks... that’s not the image it originally showed me. I’ve added a new video in the original post and reported the video to the mods to have the first one converted to a link since I couldn’t figure out how to do that in Xenforo.
Fixed it for you. Man, what is it with all the crashes this weekend?

Group Builder