Crashes in the News - Thread

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by choppergirl, Jun 8, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 3, 2019 #2801

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

2. Oct 3, 2019 #2802

PMD

PMD

PMD

Have heard that it was missfueled with jet, but no way to confirm as yet.

Honestly, I really do NOT like to see these airplanes used for what amounts to nothing but joyriding. Not even sure they should be risked to fly at all, as these few bits of history are disappearing at an alarming rate.

3. Oct 3, 2019 #2803

Steve C

Steve C

Steve C

With all of the stories about that plane bringing crews home with severe damage during the war, it seems impossible that a single engine failure ended that poorly. Sad.

Victor Bravo likes this.
  4. Oct 3, 2019 #2804

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Jet fuel would explain a lot...

bmcj likes this.
  5. Oct 3, 2019 #2805

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Jet fuel stinks.

6. Oct 3, 2019 #2806

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

I disagree. Getting a 10 minute ride in a b24 put a whole new perspective on ww2 for my childhood. When to that point l1011's were what I deemed as 'loud'.

We head down to nanton regularly for the run-up events. Just experiencing 1 Merlin running at low power puts new perspective in the kids.

birdus likes this.
  7. Oct 3, 2019 #2807

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Unfortunately, only the biggest and best funded museums maintain their display aircraft in pristine condition. So many others put them on display (often outdoors) and allow them to slowly rot away. At least the people who maintain them and fly them keep them well maintained and put them out there where John Q Public can see, touch and hear them in their natural environment in the air. That’s how people can gain a real appreciation for them.

Besides, collectors will rebuild a rare bird from a derelict status with only a few usable parts.

birdus likes this.
  8. Oct 3, 2019 #2808

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Or just the data plate...

bmcj likes this.
  9. Oct 3, 2019 #2809

Deuelly

Deuelly

Deuelly

I don't think you have an understanding of what these owners/operators do with these warbirds than. These planes are flown to honor veterans and their families. They're flown to educate and preserve history. They're flown because these days not many people can get to or make an effort to go to a museum. These owners/operator spend their own money to bring the warbirds to the people. With the occasional joy ride thrown in.:)

Oh, and they're not disappearing. There are more warbirds flying today than there were 20 years ago.

Brandon

TXFlyGuy, birdus, bmcj and 1 other person like this.
  10. Oct 4, 2019 #2810

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

No car, bus, ship, train, or skateboard is guaranteed safe. But keeping these antique warbirds in the air, and letting people experience them first hand, is a very important opportunity for history to be passed down through the generations.

Yes they are "priceless artifacts" and every time one of them gets destroyed it's a great loss. Even more so when people get hurt or killed.

But in the city where I live, we have a place called Sunset Blvd., and a place called Mulholland Drive, and another one called Pacific Coast Highway. Each of these three roads has claimed quite a few lives over the years, but nobody is suggesting they get closed down. Why? Because the benefit outweighs the cost.

The benefit of keeping WW2 history alive and relevant for future generations far outweighs the cost.

pictsidhe likes this.
  11. Oct 4, 2019 #2811

keefer66

keefer66

keefer66

seen an interview from an eyewitness. sounded knowledgable in aviation , and said he observed engine #3 smoking , but pilot in a very calm voice said engine #4 so im curious if 3 failed and the crew thought and feathered and cut 4 would he have been able at all to get back to field , even concidering he was also in a right hand turn, turning into idled or failed engines ?

12. Oct 4, 2019 #2812

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

This video explains how Collings Foundation operates warbird rides.

13. Oct 4, 2019 #2813

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Any history of the plane or other aircraft in the tour. I spent a week or two last summer following a FL museum crew thru OR and WA. They were touring with a B-17, Mustang, P-40, B-24, B-25 and perhaps one or two other aircraft. Figure they should be about to the northeastern states by now. Had a nice discussion with the pilot. I was favorably impressed with his operations.

Questions mostly answered by the above post. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  14. Oct 4, 2019 #2814

BJC

BJC

BJC

Several people here have flown the Collins Foundation’s TF-51, and two people here are part-time pilots for them. It will be a long time before the NTSB report, but I anticipate that they will have recommendations wrt commercial operation of military aircraft.

BJC

15. Oct 4, 2019 #2815

vondeliusc

vondeliusc

vondeliusc

A lady in a car reported one engine (probably #4) was 'not spinning', and there was a huge racket from another engine (probably #3).

16. Oct 4, 2019 #2816

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I've heard people (non aviation people) describe the doppler shift of a plane passing over head as "the engine was surging"

17. Oct 4, 2019 #2817

BJC

BJC

BJC

Number four failed early in the flight, and started trailing smoke. As they were turning final (or base, I’m not certain) number three shut down. At that point they were below normal speed and below normal altitude. The flight engineer survived after being thrown from the airplane. Lots of broken bones, but no burns and he remained conscious throughout the event. Both pilots were killed.

BJC

18. Oct 4, 2019 #2818

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

If it was trailing smoke (#4) I wonder if the B-17 has fire detection and suppression, If it does have then maybe the red lights would be glowing and the alarm would be wailing. Also if it has a series detection system (most likely) rather than a parallel detection system (unlikely) a couple of things could have happened at the same time. (1) fire detection could have failed to detect a fire in #4, (2) If they were having a problem with #3 as well the fire detection could have lit up #3 on the panel.

I have had a engine after landing melt down and never got so much as a twinkle or a moan from the fire detection in flight with the series detection system. Also I have had the series system go off numerous times in flight without there being any real problem, it was common to go look and see if there really was any evidence of a fire going on. It is easy for me to believe that if #3 was having trouble it could have overheated one of the sensors and triggered the alarm.

Or the other way around depending on which engine was doing what.

19. Oct 4, 2019 #2819

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

There was a lot of talk about a missfuel with jet-a on the first day.

If that was the case it could have been a progressive loss of engines...

20. Oct 4, 2019 #2820

Steve C

Steve C

Steve C

One eye witness said number 3, the one next to the co pilot, smoked and banged and quit on takeoff. He said the plane took off over the area he works.