Cranking it up!

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by Craig, Feb 23, 2004.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 23, 2004 #1

Craig

Craig

Craig

:ban: Just had to post a note.

I was working on the Duce yesterday, safety wiring this and that, making sure all the cotters are in, etc.

Except for the wing struts, all is DONE!

We are planning to time the mags today, track the prop, and CRANK IT UP FOR THE FIRST TIME!

Big step in everyone's build. This is the sixth time I have been able to make this happen, and each time brings the same butterflys, happiness, and shear joy.

Wish me luck - I'll post results tomorrow.

2. Feb 23, 2004 #2

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Congratulations, go for it! Hope all goes well for this scary moment.
    Best of luck,
    John :)

3. Feb 23, 2004 #3

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

StRaNgEdAyS

Good Stuff! :D
    :ban:
    Shame you can't post a movie file of it happening!
    :p:

4. Feb 24, 2004 #4

Craig

Craig

Craig

Crank what?

Well guys, it didn't happen. A bit of lack of coordination between my partner and I!

It seems that he decided that we needed new plugs and wires - so he trashed the old ones (trash pickup was yesterday!), and ordered new ones.

So, it will be about a week before the magic moment.

Meanwhile, I am slicing, dicing, and welding a nice pair of wing and jury struts.

'Til later -

5. Feb 25, 2004 #5

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

Good luck Craig! We're pulling for ya :D

In 1976 thru 1980, I rebuilt a pile of Champ wreckage into a flyable airplane in my garage. The 85 HP engine had been test run and the plane was all together and ready to go, but I had no runway, just a ploughed field about 600 feet across.

It was my plan to take the wings off and tow the plane 4 miles down the road to the nearest airstrip (and I use the term loosely! It was a narrow dog-legged strip of grass that dodged VW sized rocks!) But my friends (??) talked me into flying it out of my yard. (Never said I was "sane"!)

However, from the time the Champ was ready to go, a very stiff wind came up and blew day and night for a number of days.

One morning, at the crack of dawn, my hubby woke me from a sound sleep to inform me that the wind had dropped but was forecast to come up again within a few hours.

I dressed hurriedly (still mostly asleep), untied and fired up the Champ (still mostly asleep) and climbed in. I sat there in the pilot's seat, engine running, still groggy, and was going over every cotter key and lock wire in my mind when I caught sight of hubby waving excitedly that I had better go before the wind came up again.

I pushed the throttle all the way forward and started bouncing across the ploughed field toward the trees at the other side. GEEZ it took a long time for that tail to come up! It was slow gathering speed over the rough ground and the trees were getting CLOSE, so I eased the stick back and she FLEW! Man, oh MAN what a feeling!

Because the wind was coming up quickly, I decided to forgo some initial flight testing and head to my friends SHORT dog-leg strip (with the rocks) in the bush. On landing, the tail wheel didn't lock up so as the speed dropped, I had only rudder and the wind was drifting me toward a BIG rock. Rather than hit the refrigerator sized rock, I had enough rudder to turn away from the runway (and the rock) and do a gentle ground loop (without touching the wing tip) :cool:

That turned out to be the only snag in the Champ and was easily fixed.

There is NOTHING as exciting as a "first flight" especially out of a short rough field and into another ;)

Be sure to post your first-fligth adventure Craig!

6. Feb 27, 2004 #6

John Slade

John Slade

John Slade

Hey Craig,
    Good luck on the big day. I beat ya. My turbo rotary Cozy made her first BrrrraaaPPP sound last night. :ban:

I'll soon be ready for you're expert eyes to look over my installation prior to FAA inspection & first flight.
    Please give me a call,
    John