• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Crank gear spacer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike von S.

Supporting Member
With my GPAS kit, the original builder had assembled the crank, but was unable to seat the snap ring successfully (this is a flywheel-drive engine, so no Force One hub), mangling the brass distributor drive gear in the process. (pic attached, as I found it). I was unable to remove the twisted, partially seated snap ring with spreader pliers, and resorted in the end to careful use of a Dremel tool to cut up the snap ring, sacrificing the bronze gear in the process. My working thesis was that he had not fully seated the cam drive gear in time (as it was cooling), although no gap was visible to my naked eye, and that everything downstream of that came up several thou short. After investing in a proper VW gear puller, I removed the two gears and spacer, bought a new bronze gear, snap ring, and spacer, and started over. Instead of hot dogs, my July 4 barbecue involved cooking gears. After being heated in veggie oil until about 375 deg, the gears went back on the crank smoothly. But my new clip ring still won't fit cleanly. My only explanation is that my new spacer is just a tiny bit too wide (as was probably true with the original).
Have others encountered this problem?
If so, is it usually addressed by machining down the spacer?
Thanks
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_138b.jpg

Back