• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Craigslist

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I agree if that runout 57 y/o engine holds out another 200 hrs, it's a smokin' deal.

I like the "Logbooks and service history going back to before I was born" comment. That means ~30+ yrs of records can be missing.
It's the "last flown 2 years ago" part that would worry me. Could be ok, could be a maintenance nightmare. Probably priced appropriately for that gamble.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Like all short wing Pipers, the pre-buy inspection for this Colt will need to involve an ice pick or click center punch, to check for known corrosion issues. Lower longerons, bottom of door frame, main strut attach cluster.

French Valley is on the dry-ish side of the coastal mountains, so there's a chance the corrosion is minor, but you gots to know before you spends da cash.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter

djmcfall

Is there a reason every plane that's a good deal is located in California? I feel like this mystery involves a floating green orb and a corvette driving astronaut.
Not all in California, I have discovered the good deals are always on the opposite side of the country from wherever you are located. Same jinx as wherever I am flying, I always have a headwind. I think it is similar to Murphy’s law.😂

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
So the reason I can’t find any good deals because I live in the middle of the country? As soon as I move to one side or the other I’ll be able to find more of them?
So a tiny little crackerbox house with mold and rodents and single-pane windows in LA, SF, or NY costs $800K at a minimum... and a decent live-able house in the middle of the country costs 50-150K... and you're crying about all the good deals being somewhere else?

I'll trade you THREE of the great airplane deals I got for ONE of your houses.

If you act now, I'll throw in a couple of our CA elected officials to sweeten the deal :)

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Unless you can work remote* you will also likely trade your paycheck for one with with about half of it missing. Housing may be a higher % of income but there are a lot of other items that cost us here in flyover country just as much as it does in the big city. 15% disposable income of a 100K paycheck goes a lot further than 20% disposable income from a 50K paycheck. ;)

And all the good airplane deals are still on the coast - take your pick. :(

* Some of us really fear what is going to happen to local housing prices, and by extension our property taxes, when people that can work remote, and make 'city wages', start moving in.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
So a tiny little crackerbox house with mold and rodents and single-pane windows in LA, SF, or NY costs $800K at a minimum... and a decent live-able house in the middle of the country costs 50-150K... and you're crying about all the good deals being somewhere else?

If you act now, I'll throw in a couple of our CA elected officials to sweeten the deal :)
I don’t know who you think you’re kidding you can buy a nice livable house in my area for 10,000 bucks!
And Illinois is the only state in the union the department of corrections runs our governor’s retirement plan so yeah we can swap politicians I’m gonna get the best of that deal !

Derswede

I was in Compton, Ca to interview a machine tech a couple of years ago. Hispanic kid, nice house, but small/older. I complemented him on having a nice house...he said, it is a rental and he wanted to stay there, so he improved the property. Owner told him that he could buy it if he wanted...about 1,000 sq. ft, in not the best neighborhood. $450,000. Wow, in Compton? I thought that it was a bit high. In NC, the house flippers have taken over. An abandoned house near me is halfway to completion. I would have torn down the original and built new. But they say that they will make a profit on it. The 1800 sq. ft house just down from me went on the market at $235K, just sold for $295K. 5 bidders. If I had another place to live, I would put mine up for sale tomorrow. The airport up the road from me is suddenly affordable. Owner told me $250,000 for it. Hmmm....my own airstrip......problem is, that price is several years old, and today, the rich neighbors would snap it up and build more McMansions on it.

Derswede

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
One of a kind, 70% scale Moth tribute, Grand Champion at Arlington, folding wings, custom trailer included. Stunning workmanship. Download the ENTIRE March 2016 Sport Aviation if you're an EAA member, this airplane is featured in the Experimenter section. Scott Casler full VW. This is a screaming deal on a beautiful little airplane, located Northern Washington.