Quantcast

For Sale Craigslist

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
If one of you guys doesn't buy this right f!(#*$ing now now you're crazy! This is an incredibly capable and utilitarian airplane that can still be a luxury family cruiser, and this is the desirable version with some oomph.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
If one of you guys doesn't buy this right f!(#*$ing now now you're crazy! This is an incredibly capable and utilitarian airplane that can still be a luxury family cruiser, and this is the desirable version with some oomph.

That is a SCREAMING deal.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Well there is in the ad a zero time prop mentioned but no prop on the plane, this in combination causes me to wonder.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The engine “needs to be installed ..” and no calendar time stated since overhauls.

ADs? Corrosion?

BJC

Pilot-34

$20 grand with a unproven rebuild of indeterminate age ?
AND that needs to be installed ?
On a plane that has some serious regular problem ?
Best thing is it’s in Phoenix so may not have the corrosion problems.
In flyaway condition and a hour a week for the last year it would be a $20,000 plane as is perhaps half if I can inspect the engine and airframe first.
But to be honest I’m pretty cheep.

Pilot-34

Ok it sounds better than I thought ,
The engine was rebuilt and pickled 7 years ago and both it and the airframe have always been hangered
Seems like it flew until about 15 years ago or so and has spent most of its life in the Phoenix area except for some weekends near the coast.
All in all better , much better than I expected.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
It sounded pretty obvious from the ad... it had been flying, the engine needed to be rebuilt, they took the engine off and sent it out for rebuild, it came back as a zero time engine, and for some reason it sat in a hangar since then.

Bolt the engine back on, perform an IRAN, and a thorough annual, and you have something really really special. Imagine a 220 HP Piper Cherokee with better visibility, better handling, real pilot control sticks (!), and able to operate out of HALF the length strip.

rollerball

Brilliant little aircraft, STOL with automatic leading edge slats. Well nigh impossible to stall. If it goes engine out you can almost just hold the stick back and let it land by itself. Almost :)
I may be wrong, I've not checked, but I don't think it's a true 4-seater, 3 if you and your pax are not too lardy. I enjoyed flying them back in the day out of Biggin Hill, the old WWII airfield in the south of England. Last flight from my log book August 1979 in G-BERA.

WWhunter

VB, Wow! That definitely sounds like a smokin deal! If I were in the area I would give it a serious looking at. Why are all the deal 1500 miles away? Lots of guys shy away from the Franklin engines, due to various reasons. But that plane would be a blast.

The 220 Franklin requires 100LL. Avgas only is a con for me, I do try and keep 100+/- gallons at my strip, but it's a 60 miles pickup drive (one way) to refill my barrels.

I believe I have seen these in the Alps region when I was in Europe. Equipped with skis they made a formidable high mountain STOL plane. Not a huge fan of low winged aircraft, but this one definitely piques my interest.

Merry Christmas Bill!!

WWhunter

Nice to hear from you, hope all is well with you and yours. Still have the old 172?

Hey Bill!! Yes sir, I still have the 172. Such a good old reliable plane. Really hard to beat a 172 for all around use. I know I will be a little heartbroken to see it go but, I just have too many projects and age is creeping up on me.

I had contemplated selling it, but the spousal unit got pretty upset saying it needed to stay in the family. I'm not sure why....I've only had it for 34 years! LOL I decided to give it to my son who is trying to build flying time. He is planning on flying it back to Oregon next spring when he returns from deployment overseas. He's got his Commercial, instrument and Multi, and wanting to get his CFI next. Maybe I won't have to pay for BFR anymore. :)

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
WW Hunter The sum total of what I've learned in aviation, 43 years after first solo, and 20+ airplanes owned... is this:

Never sell your last flying airplane until you have another flying airplane in hand to replace it.

You can let projects come and go, you can do without a project, you can be the project collector with 20 of them stuffing hangars from one end of the airport to the other.

But keep one flying, un-modified, un-taken-apart, un-needs-work airplane in airworthy condition no matter what else you do.

WWhunter

WW Hunter The sum total of what I've learned in aviation, 43 years after first solo, and 20+ airplanes owned... is this:

Never sell your last flying airplane until you have another flying airplane in hand to replace it.

You can let projects come and go, you can do without a project, you can be the project collector with 20 of them stuffing hangars from one end of the airport to the other.

But keep one flying, un-modified, un-taken-apart, un-needs-work airplane in airworthy condition no matter what else you do.

Truer words have never been spoken!! I have adhered to this always. Even though I have had other planes over the years, I always had a flying plane, which was the 172. I also have a RANS S-7 that I keep at my private strip, so I won't be without a plane while I try to finish up the Murphy Rebel. I've actually got 3 Rebel Projects, probably time to sell a couple of those too!!