For Sale Craigslist

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Royal

I'd only trust the ls3 that's been detuned from Chevy. Other than that I want a Yamaha or a Honda engine.

Pilot-34

Now here is an interesting bird, would almost like to know the back story on this one.....

Piper Pacer with a V-6 Chevy in it. "taxied but never flown"....what could go wrong?

Derswede
I too would like to know the backstory on that one but I bet I could tell a fairly accurate story on that one.
Joe handy with tools always wanted an airplane but didn’t think he could afford one.
Along came a pacer with a run out engine just about the time he found a heckuva deal on a Chevy V6
It didn’t take long to put it together but when he went to talk to the FAA about it he discovered they were not very happy with the idea

rv7charlie

Can't tell from the pics, but it *might* be a 'legit' conversion; they were fairly common back at the end of the last century.
Belted Air Power - RV6 Project
Experimental Exhibition category can allow conversion of a type-cert a/c to non-certified power. You just need to know the right phrases to put in the program letter.

Wanttaja

I too would like to know the backstory on that one but I bet I could tell a fairly accurate story on that one.
Joe handy with tools always wanted an airplane but didn’t think he could afford one.
Along came a pacer with a run out engine just about the time he found a heckuva deal on a Chevy V6
It didn’t take long to put it together but when he went to talk to the FAA about it he discovered they were not very happy with the idea
I believe the Blanton Javelin was a Piper Pacer/Tri-Pacer with a V6 engine. IIRC, the builder was supposed to extend the rear fuselage to compensate for the heavier engine. Don't know if this was done on the airplane for sale.

Ron Wanttaja

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Blanton sold a manual for doing the conversion written in his usual style. The part about really making sure the title got switched to the new owner was very amusing.

delta

I wonder if that would work on a half V-dub too?
That box is made to fit over the flywheel. Note starter opening and pilot shaft. I'd
bet the 1/2 vw would need the full case to work. Plus... What turns that pilot shaft? Seems like something's missing like the clutch and pressure plate.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
They call it light weight, then it reads 36 pounds, which is quite a bit for a VW drive.

They talk about the clutch in the system, which means the clutch disc damper springs too. You would probably need a good sized flywheel and the spring set from the clutch disc.

It is designed for a belt load, with a big pulley attached to the output shaft. It might or might not have enough strength to handle prop gyroscopic moments. Looks like it would require quite bit of engineering checks of the assembly to make sure it would stay together swinging a prop and rotating the airplane in pitch and yaw.

Billski

Pilot-34

Now here is an interesting bird, would almost like to know the back story on this one.....

Piper Pacer with a V-6 Chevy in it. "taxied but never flown"....what could go wrong?

Derswede
Any idea what kind of horsepower we’re talking about with that little Chevy V6?

Pilot-34

Derswede
What kind of horsepower are we talking about with that Chevy V6?

Victor Bravo

Kinner 5 Cyl Radial $6500

Your aviation friends will recognize when you're flying overhead, even if they're in quarantine and locked in their bedroom with a blindfold on !

Victor Bravo

Now HERE's a strange one, a basket case Starduster 1 biplane apparently with retractable gear (OMFG!) Ain't nobody else gonna have one of these....

Homeless encampment furnishings shown in photo sold separately...