For Sale Craigslist

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

Here's a RARE bird indeed ! The Silhouette was alow wing conventional kit airplane/mototglider that used the fuselage mo;ds form the failed Rutan Solitaire glider. Probably a perfectly good little sportplane judging from the looks of it,, but I have no personal knowledge of that. But it's cheap :)

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Here's a RARE bird indeed ! The Silhouette was alow wing conventional kit airplane/mototglider that used the fuselage mo;ds form the failed Rutan Solitaire glider. Probably a perfectly good little sportplane judging from the looks of it,, but I have no personal knowledge of that. But it's cheap :)
Oh wow. Yeah, that's a rare one, alright! How many of those were ever actually completed? Not a lot.

pwood66889

"32 cubic inches, doesn't that make it an 032 not an 084?"
Yes, it would. Had a chance on a 4A-032 "Free to a good home" laying in a hangar. Little small for person carrying.
Yet Continental did make some of them...

Turd Ferguson

The seller is few yrs off, the ad says "1974 kit built" but the Solitaire (Model 77 canard glider) wasn't introduced until 1982 as contestant for the 1982 Sailplane Homebuilders Association Design Contest.

Rutan had contracted with Task to build the components and J.K. decided he would just rip off the design, make few changes, give it a new name and go into production. Rutan terminated his contracts with Task Research over that and I think he was able to apply enough legal pressure to quash sales after ~50 sets of plans were sold. Something like a dozen airplanes were actually built. So yep, they are rare.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Corby Starlet, may be the original prototype, $10K, Tucson AZ

This one isn't the prototype, but it is the one featured on the cover of EAA's wood aircraft techniques book!
EAA Aircraft Wood Building Techniques

From what I remember, this one did come out on the heavy side, but it sure is purty!

plncraze

HBA Supporter
That plane was one two that he built. It was a cover plane in Sportsman Pilot magazine. Make sure you fit in it before you write a check.

n45bm

Corby Starlet, may be the original prototype, $10K, Tucson AZ

I remember Ray Downs, and I have a photo of him sitting in my Corby Starlet at '91 Oshkosh. He was a nice guy and did very good work, albeit a little on the heavy side. He previously built a Mustang II, both with the same colors. He passed shortly after completing the Corby, and sadly, he didn't get to fly it much. A pic of mine still in my hangar for your review.

Attachments