Cozy IV Canopy Dimensions

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Topaz, Aug 28, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 28, 2017 #1

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Hello all,

I have a quick question that I'm hoping someone in the group can answer. What are the outside dimensions for the Cozy IV canopy? I don't need the shape, just the width at the widest point, height from the rear edge to the bottom, and overall length. I know that the canopy is sometimes "pulled open" a bit to increase cabin width, but I'm looking for the original, stock configuration.

Much appreciated if someone can either look it up on their plans, or measure their airplane.

2. Aug 28, 2017 #2

Vision_2012

Vision_2012

Vision_2012

3. Aug 30, 2017 #3

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

4. Aug 30, 2017 #4

Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

There is no dimension for the canopy itself, and given the flexibility of the canopy and how folks customize stuff, every plane will vary to some extent. However, from the turtleback bulkhead template,
    which is ABOUT the size of the rear of the canopy (widest and tallest):

36 3/8"

Eh. The canopy plexiglas itself will be about 15.5" high after trimming, although it's delivered with a few inches extra - I raised my turtleback 1.75" at the front (at the aft end of the canopy) and still had to trim some plexi off the bottom. Also, the bottom 1" of each side of the plexi is buried in glass/foam to attach to the frame, so subtract 1" - 1.5" or so from the height to account for that.

Same as above- there are a few inches of extra length as delivered, but the exposed portion of the canopy will be ABOUT 43" long

This all from the plans - NOT from measuring my plane.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2017
  5. Aug 30, 2017 #5

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Ah, thanks. I don't need precise dimensions at this point, so your answers are perfect for what I need. Much appreciated.