Cozy Girls rotary engine mounts

Discussion in 'Mazda Rotary' started by Will Aldridge, Jul 29, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 29, 2017 #1

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

http://www.cozygirrrl.com/cg_products_rotary_engine.htm

Just barely found this, and I've been thinking i was going to have to fabricate a mount totally from scratch. Where have you girls been all my life?

Just the bed mount and the ring will save me a year I'm sure. As soon as i get funds together I'm going to start working on the engine in tandem with the airframe, since I'll have to have the engine thoroughly ground tested before i try flying it. I've been gambling that the rotary engine would mature as a reliable aviation engine by the time i needed it for my plane and the existence of these engine mount components is a little bit of evidence that it is.

cozy-engine-conversion-019.jpg CG-RX-MMP-13.gif

cheapracer likes this.
  2. Jul 29, 2017 #2

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Cozy Girrrls have been making parts like this for over a decade...

I hope you can get all the details right on your Wankel installation. Earlier this month a Wankel RV8 forced landed and was seriously damaged for the second time after power loss. The first time was about 10 years ago after an electrical switch failure shut off the ECU. The owner did an immaculate rebuild and sold it to a new owner who only had it 2-3 weeks before the last incident. It was a real shame both times as the airplane was super clean. No word what caused the power loss so far this time around.

Be sure to address every detail of the installation carefully.

https://www.facebook.com/SpokaneNew...1500139885./10154523785135706/?type=3&theater

3. Jul 29, 2017 #3

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

I have been to their site in the past couple years but somehow missed their rotary engine stuff, and I've found websites showing the above parts dated 8-9 years ago, but in all my looking and I've done a lot i never came across it before. Just one word off in a Google search will deny you a lot of info.

I'm hoping that with the new redrive coming out, a good motor mount and the fact that I've designed the front end of the plane to fit the rotary with all the major components placed before construction begins that I'll be stacking the deck in my favor. Also as i said I'm not going to wait till the airframe is mostly done to start on the engine installation. I hope to be running the engine on a stand before the airframe is ready for it.

cheapracer and rv6ejguy like this.
  4. Jul 29, 2017 #4

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Some work in Australia is being done on a revised copy of the RWS drive and these folks have a Wankel RV7 with over 500 hours on it now:

wankel1.jpg wankel2.jpg

Bill Jepson is also working a revised PSRU based on the Powersport one so perhaps you'll have some other choices soon.

5. Jul 29, 2017 #5

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

There were some guys on the PL mailing list in Australia working on a new/upgraded planetary redrive, i wonder if Therese are the same guys? I redirected all PL mail as spam about a month ago, strangely i don't miss it.

I'll be interested to see how their redrive holds up.

6. Jul 30, 2017 #6

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

I'll email these guys down under on Monday and see what sort of progress they're making on the engine packagesand redrives.

Are you sure you don't miss those PL emails? :tired:

I never read any more about their record climb attempt but it was certainly interesting.

7. Jul 30, 2017 #7

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

Hi Will,

Are you subscribed to the Flyrotary email list? Not a lot of fluff there, but if you're looking for answers from guys that are actually flying them, that's the place to be. The Australian you & Ross mentioned, posts on Flyrotary.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the motor mount isn't *that* tough to do, if you can weld, or know someone who can. I made mine, and my neighbor TIG'd it for me. The bottom plate, and that big wide thing that PL is constantly hyping (and Tracy Crook does *not* endorse with his drive) are not the only design options. The 'inspiration' (for lack of a better term) for PL's plate accomplishes the same kind of forward mount points, without the extra stress induced by PL's plate.

Charlie
    RV-7 Renesis FWF in progress

8. Jul 30, 2017 #8

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

The TTC record was the only reason i stayed on as long as i did. PL mentioned something about doing a forum at OSH this year, maybe someone on this list attended?

I'll sign up for that list and see what there is to learn.

I've always been more comfortable with wood than metal. That and the fact that my plane is more easily done in wood and composites are the reason i went this route. Right now i plan on buying the plate and for testing purposes I'll have a cheap mount built, i expect i might have to adjust the length for cg purposes when the airframe is built, so will wait to use good steel til then. But i know any attempt i make at welding won't be airworthy.

9. Jul 30, 2017 #9

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

I'm glad you're back on your project Will. Awesome looking airplane you've designed there.

10. Jul 30, 2017 #10

TMann

TMann

TMann

I have the Girrrls 20B mount. Fine craftsgirlship and engineering.
    Everything they make smacks of quality.

11. Jul 31, 2017 #11

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

Hey Will,

I forgot to mention this. Check with Chrissi on whether they sell a plate with either no offset, or an offset for a tractor a/c. For a while, they had a "gentleperson's" agreement with Ed Klepeis at Tech Welding to split the motor mount business; Ed was doing RV's (tractor a/c) and CG was doing EZ style pushers. Don't know if that arrangement is still in effect. Ed's site is:
    http://www.techwelding.com/aviation.html

I know them both; either will do you a good job if you give them good firewall/position data to work with.

Charlie

12. Jul 31, 2017 #12

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

When the time comes I'll ask. What offset btw?

I did subscribe or at least tried to subscribe to the flyrotary list and i got the email asking to confirm, haven't heard anything back yet. Is that normal?

13. Jul 31, 2017 #13

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

Most tractor a/c have the thrust line angled to one side (to the right, for a right-turning engine like a Lyc) and some also angle the thrust line down. That's what I meant by 'offset'. It's there to make the plane easier to control in high thrust, low speed situations (that right rudder thing during climbout). I honestly can't remember if the offset is even needed in a pusher, so it might not be a factor with the CG mount plate. But some guys who started with a RWS 2.17 ratio drive (left turning) with a left mount offset, and swapped to a 2.85 (right turning) without swapping the mount, had a rude shock on their 1st takeoff. That even included Tracy. :)

Some of us built mounts with no offset, and plan (hope) to be ready for the P factor on takeoff.

Charlie

edit; forgot about the list. There hasn't been a post to the list in a few days, so you might not have gotten any messages. Try a test posting to the list to see if it will let you post. The address is:
    flyrotary@lancaironline.net

I'll do a test post now, to generate a list broadcast, and If I see a post from you, I'll let you know. Be sure to include your name in the post, so I'll know it's you.

14. Jul 31, 2017 #14

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Ok, i see what you mean about offset. Won't be much of an issue for me since except for the plate and ring my mount will be totally custom and I imagine I'll have a local guy fab it. I've been debating building left or right offset into the mount, I've got a little vertical offset designed in right now but am debating that as well.

You've probably seen my response to your test post, thanks.