Coyotes

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by ClippedCub, Jan 2, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 3, 2012 #21

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Most of those stories, when you actually look into them seem to fall apart.

....and?

2. Jan 3, 2012 #22

ClippedCub

ClippedCub

ClippedCub

eom

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. Jan 3, 2012 #23

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Susi

It says 110 children were eaten by wolfs in Finland....and peculiarly last case was in 1881 !? 18 children were recorded in one township...go figure.

4. Jan 3, 2012 #24

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susi

It says 110 children were eaten by wolfs in Finland....and peculiarly last case was in 1881 !? 18 children were recorded in one township...go figure.

5. Jan 3, 2012 #25
    Read it carefully and to the end, it's only a tale and totally nonsense

6. Jan 3, 2012 #26

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Wiki could also be a tale..I mean these things that are said to have happened happened 130+ years ago...people starved at servants of the new masters the Russians back then. There weren't automobiles nor phones people lived in pitch black forests and we have no idea how many wolves lived back then in Finland. What is possible is that a wolf who ate one sheep..or ten practically killed a family..since they had no food after that.

7. Jan 3, 2012 #27

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

There's a difference between starving because there is nothing to eat and being eaten by a wolf. You can't blame the latter on the wolves anymore than you can blame the starvation of natives in African deserts on the vultures circling overhead. It's just that some terrain is not able to support human settlement without a lot of preparation and support.

8. Jan 3, 2012 #28

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

People in America used to be bite-sized back then, but no longer. We've outgrown our easily edible size.... either we're too big to eat, or one person is enough now, whereas it used to take 110!

9. Jan 4, 2012 #29

PaulS

PaulS

PaulS

Wolves and coyotes instinctively regard people as "higher on the food chain" and stay clear. If any wild cainine isn't affraid of you it is probably rabid.
    I have been followed by wolves when back-packing in the North Cascades but they always kept their distance. They are curious but rarely dangerous to humans. They are also opportunists and will feed on anything already dead or close to it.

Paul

10. Jan 4, 2012 #30

dalek56

dalek56

dalek56

hey Tom, I am close to Pittsburgh...live in Beaver County ( no wise cracks please...haha). where did you grow up at?

IIRC didnt a packof wolves attack a girl jogger in alaska? i seem to remember that from a year or so ago. like any preditory animal....they may leave you alone but if you run you just entered the realm of prey. think the same thing happened to a girl jogging in california...but a mountian lion got her.

11. Jan 4, 2012 #31

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

I grew up in the Greensburg/Latrobe area. Just read about the guy that shot and killed an intruder on his front porch with a bow and arrow. Before I read the article, I said this has to be in PA; and I was right.

Blue skies,

Tom

12. Jan 4, 2012 #32

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

I knew it...Finland had famine in 1866-1868...it has to been in connection with wolves eating kids...wolf pack eats a horse, cow and 7 sheep..then family has no longer milk, clothes, meat, nor trasport. It says catastrofic famine...something we cannot describe today.

History of Finland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can imagine a starved neck of the woods family without anything to eat..a wolfpack eating the kids first..parents committing a suicide..official come to do the body count and chase the wolfs away...or suntin into this direction...kids trying to fish on the river and parents lying motionless on their beds barely breathing...wolf pack comes and "solves the problem" in nature fashion...survival of the fittest.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  13. Jan 4, 2012 #33

ClippedCub

ClippedCub

ClippedCub

eom

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  14. Jan 4, 2012 #34

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Isn't that kind of like a surfer following a Great White Shark around in the water? :gig:

I seem to remember a 20/20 or 60 Minutes story about a mother somewhere remote like Alaska or Montana who chased a wolf away when she caught it carrying her young son away from the house. At least I think the story said it was a wolf.

15. Jan 4, 2012 #35

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

The finnish history part seemed pretty accurate, but the wolf thing seemed to have been written by animal activists.

16. Jan 4, 2012 #36

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

I don't trust any sort of stories like that unless there's independent verification of the identification. Most untrained persons can't tell the difference between a scruffy domesticated dog of similar coloration, a wolf and a coyote. Hell, people misidentify house cats as "black panthers" all the freaking time.

First rule of Wikipedia: Assume it's skewed, slanted or outright false until backed up by a reputable source.

17. Jan 6, 2012 #37

dalek56

dalek56

dalek56

got curious about that Alaskan jogger story i talked about and found several hits in google. here in the ny post story..

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/jogger_believed_mauled_to_death_FBjn7klRjnRkEidimQ5dBJ

google it and you will find other sources as well...

i spend a lot of time in the woods/wilderness or in the ocean. anytime someone ventures into that realm they have to understand you have just become another link in the food chain whether you like it or not.

18. Jan 6, 2012 #38

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Hell, you wander into the wrong part of most major cities and you're at far greater risk than you are in the woods due to the "food chain".

19. Jan 8, 2012 #39

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

The ones in my rural neighborhood compete with the redtail hawks keep the rabbits, mice, voles, moles and other ground dwellers in check. The biggest problem with trying to teach them something is you can not spend all day everyday on the task, while all day is exactly what they have.

Coyotes on your airstrip are a good excuse for a rifle in 223 Remington with a suppressor. So are woodchucks and prairie dogs. Unfortunately, most states still think that there is something wrong with having a gadget on your rifle that does not cause big disturbance to your neighbors every time you squelch a pest.

The above comment about finding the den is appropriate too - harass a 'yote at her den with cubs and she moves her deal elsewhere. Nonetheless, live trapping won't work. They will just push on the territory where they are moved and the 'yotes in the neighborhood will just fill the void. That and if you only move a coyote 10 miles, it will still be in its range and just pick up its hunting cycle at the new location.

Billski

20. Jan 8, 2012 #40

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Coyotes are difficult to control because they increase their birth rate consistent with the pressure they are under. If harassed, trapped, shot at, etc. they just make more little coyotes to compensate.