Quantcast

Coyotes

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

SVSUSteve

What's an accepted way to rid a property of coyotes. Have a soft spot so don't want to shot them, they're just trying to make a living too. Saw a magnificent black one this week which I've been told are pretty rare. Would like to just trap him and relocate him off somewhere.
If you want to go about trying to trap them, I'd first talk to the local Department of Natural Resource/Fish and Wildlife office to see what the specifics of this would be since in some states coyotes are considered a game animal (due to the collection of their pelts).

I've found that a paintball gun is an effective non-lethal way of teaching wildlife to stay out of a particular area. It also works well for pesky kids who won't stay off of my lawn. ;)

Monty

My neighbor the cattle rancher hired a trapper. He trapped 17 of them in a few weeks. Within 6 months "replacements" arrived.

I have an Irish wolf hound. He keeps them pushed back a reasonable distance. I also have a shepherd mix the wolf hound decided we should adopt. The shepherd mix is my "small" dog, he weighs 75 lbs. They "sing" to the Coyotes, or more likely, curse at them in their own language. This can be tiresome when one must be at work early in the AM.

Coyotes are prolific. Many soft spots I once had have hardened........

topspeed100

Banned
I saw wildlife document on TV with coyotes and wolves in Yellowstone...first looked to me that a coyote is like wolf...but then then came clear that even coyotes have a respect for the pacts of wolves..is a wolf bigger than a coyote ?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coyotes are becoming a problem here in the northeast, too... kind of like great big rats. They're even in New York City now! They're generally about the size of a medium size dog, smaller than, say, a German Shepard. Besides paintball guns, a BB or pellet works well to chase them away.

They'd come out onto the airport where I used to fly my PPG... great fun chasing them in a PPG...

-Dana

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

SVSUSteve

They'd come out onto the airport where I used to fly my PPG... great fun chasing them in a PPG...
Just be careful. There was a medical helicopter crash a few years back in Montana where the crew (between calls) was amusing themselves by chasing mountain goats with the helicopter. ;)

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Just be careful. There was a medical helicopter crash a few years back in Montana where the crew (between calls) was amusing themselves by chasing mountain goats with the helicopter. ;)
We have Coyote packs here in central Vermont too. Lots of acreage of woods and deer and hardly any population here. We also have an occasional eastern timber wolf. Saw one in the yard and out mountain biking. Here no paintball, BB, Pellet approach works. The coyotes hunt in packs and they are a problem in winter as the food source gets harder to chase so they go after dumpsters and house garbage and pets. The only approach that has worked for friends of mine has been a 12 gauge, and that only works for a while. It isn't a constant problem like it is elsewhere but more like as often as we get bear issues. A few stories a year about someone having to chase some coyotes out of their garage or something like that. 10 miles wouldn't even get them off of your scent trail. Coyotes can travel 50-60 in a day. 10 miles is like their back yard. Wolf sightings are always solo here. Those are huge animals. The one that walked down my driveway left me sort of standing there behind the window with my mouth hanging open. Hope not to see him on the property again. But they seem careful and are trying to avoid contact with the bipeds. Coyotes seem more than willing to fight with us for our garbage.

topspeed100

Banned
We don't have coyotes here in Finland but other beasts have increased like wolf and bear. Wolves eat lambs but so far no people. Hunters get to fight with bears but no one has died so far...few close calls.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
They are becoming a huge problem here in the California desert. They are breeding with domestic dogs and getting bigger/bolder with each generation. They are also finding that humans and their dwellings are like a supermarket of sorts - providing as many cats and dogs as they can kill and eat. A pack of them got a hold of one of our neighbors little dogs and literally ripped it limb from limb in broad daylight, right in the front yard. Bad news.

We called the State game guy some time ago and he suggested (off the record) to simply kill as many as we could. In fact, he suggested to shoot them in the gut so they would survive long enough to crawl back to the den and die there. The rotting carcass driving the rest of the pack out.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
When I lived in the middle of Dallas, we had coyotes ranging up and down the greenbelts and creeks that feed into White Rock Lake. The city trapped and relocated them, but it never did the slightest bit of good. Another family would move in within a week or two. It was a constant exercise in futility, but we never had any problems with other types of small animals! I now live a couple of blocks from a large park on the edge of Lake Grapevine, and there are quite a few coyotes here, too. The local police have special shotgun ammo filled with rubber bits that they use to scare them off when they start getting too nosy. It is a little too early to tell how effective that is going to be. I don't mind them at all, but I don't have any outdoor pets and I don't put any trash out overnight.

dalek56

we started getting them in sw PA in force back in the early 90s. supposedly they were imported to keep the deer population down. they were seen more by the farmers and people who had large tracts of land. now its not uncommon to see them run across the main road near the towns or hear them howl at night. before you do anything talk to the game commission. some game laws are bizzare...and they ( game commisions) dont have to extend due process or worry about stepping on your rights. you can probably do what you want without without having to get some sort of permit. but its better to ask a few questions first so you dont get jammed up later.

Tom Nalevanko

Hey Dale, where you from in Western PA. I grew up there and it is pretty close to Texas in terms of shoot first and ask questions later. Huntin is important!
Blue skies,
Tom

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Another buddy had an illegal 98% wolf hybrid once. Thing could almost look me in the eye on it's hind legs, and I'm pretty tall.

A family friend raised full blooded Timberwolves to breed with German Shepherds for guard dogs. The Timberwolves were enormous, very tall with a very wide head and steely gaze. While the Timberwolves could be somewhat tamed, he had to breed them with Shepherds because, for the most part, the full blooded wolves would keep running if freed (would not return), even if it had been raised from a pup.

SVSUSteve

Wolves eat lambs but so far no people.
Unprovoked attacks by wolves on people are very rare. I can only think of one that actually stands up to any sort of scrutiny and I still wonder if they guy really truly didn't do something to incite the attack. I've been in the woods out west and encountered wolves. I'm not frightened by them and see it as a rather amazing sight. Almost all of the "bad" traits that come out of wolf-dog hybrids are due to the rearing of the animal or from people assuming that you can treat a wild animal in the same way you would a beagle.

autoreply

Unprovoked attacks by wolves on people are very rare. I can only think of one that actually stands up to any sort of scrutiny and I still wonder if they guy really truly didn't do something to incite the attack. I've been in the woods out west and encountered wolves. I'm not frightened by them and see it as a rather amazing sight. Almost all of the "bad" traits that come out of wolf-dog hybrids are due to the rearing of the animal or from people assuming that you can treat a wild animal in the same way you would a beagle.
Indeed, ignore them and you'd be fine. A couple years ago I was resting during a motorcycle offroad ride, somewhere in the Mercantour, which doesn't see that much people. Luckily I was only smoking and not eating, at the same time enjoying the view (6000+ ft) when I spotted them in the distance. They clearly noticed me, but didn't bother to look me up and didn't come any closer than 30-40 meters or so. Pretty **** impressive so see a whole pack in their natural habitat, knowing they could have easily killed and eaten me...

The only one who didn't like it was my GF... she was in Alaska at the time and had only seem some bears in the far, far distance :gig:

topspeed100

Banned
I think wolfes were hunted to near extinction in Finland after eating some school kids in the turn of the century....and they do eat people dogs at the yard....very often nowadays.