• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Covering with appropriately chosen fabric weights to save overall weight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orange4sky

Hi,

I have been plannning the covering of my experimental Stinson 108. Of course, I want to save weight and so I have been thinking of covering different parts of the aircraft with different weights of fabric. As I understand it the fabric is lighter by itself and the paint will also be lighter as the fabric does not absorb or need as much primer/filler. Obviously, the wings and ailerons are the most important part and take the highest wind pressures so one would want to use medium fabric (2.7oz) there, at least on the bottom of the wings. But the top of the wings and the fuselage could be conceivably be covered in light weight fabric (1.8 oz). Thoughts? Ideas? Warnings?

Back