• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Covering ultralight wing with undercamber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Built2Fly

I was looking at my wing the other day and noticed that it has some undercamber.

The original construction for Hiperlite use a pre-sewn envelope for wings. That fabric is held down to the rib caps by some double sided sticky tape.

The Poly-Fiber manual stated that the cement is good for sheer force but not good for pull force. So it uses rib lacing, and alternatively uses pop rivet or screws to hold it down.

Adding to the consideration, Hiperlite is an ultralight. So would the 3M contact cement be strong enough to hold it down? Or do I need to add rivets? What is your suggestion? (I am using the "poorman's Stewart System" with 3M 30-NF.)

This is the underside of my wing. The wing is up-side-down on saw horses.
20210117_095646.jpg

Back