Could you design anything stranger?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Evanuel

At first glance, Hummingird looks like a Coelopter with larger ailerons.
When I say "larger ailerons" I am referring to its F-104 Starfighter like wings.
Ducted fans are most efficient at low airspeeds. Think of the near zero airspeed maneuvers flown by some aerobatic display pilots. With sufficient prop blast flowing across tail surfaces, Hummingbird should be able to turn at near zero airspeed.
Which would be awesome, shame it never went anywhere

Urquiola

Some call Moeller a visionary, but I believe he was more of a grifter. His claims of a 350mph cruise, while burning <10 gph, with ducted fans, defies physics. When I asked to see his calculations to back his claims, he stopped talking and turned away from me. Apparently, I was supposed to believe in magic, not the laws of thermodynamics. He's not the only grifter out there who is lining his pockets from denigrating/ignoring science.
I once heard about a G Washington anecdote: A guy constantly bothered him, asking: 'When do you plan to attack?', after a while, GW responded: 'Could you keep a secret? the guy said: 'Yes', and George Wasinghton replied: 'Me too!'

Young man, calculations are a big part in engineering products, you can't ask someone in the business, as you say you did with Moeller, to provide you with the basis or results of their research for free.
Blessings +

Riggerrob

Seems like the perfect candidate for a whole plane recovery parachute.

A Delta, Rogallo wing parachute, naturally. ( Lippisch was an early delta wing guy )

Which would give a MUCH better glide than the Aerodyne iyself, especially dead stick.
Yes.
Rogallo wings have a glide ratio of about 2 / 1.
I have jumped Delta II and Paradacytl Rogallo parachutes and found them comparable to early rami-r/square/Jalbert parachutes.

Aesquire

I've jumped the Paradactyl myself, snappy opening shock with no slider & decent glide... Compared to a T10. ;)

I really liked it. Even flew one off a ski hill. In contrast, my "standard Rogallo" hang glider got about 4 to 1 glide. Modern paragliders get better, but tend not to publish numbers since wing loading and other factors ( pod harness drag ) can change things a lot. Plus accurate measurements aren't easy.

It's the irony of a Delta wing pioneer like Lippisch designing a wingless VTOL that might benefit from a kite design... Tested by NASA for space capsule landing... A cosmic spiral of form and function. :)

Urquiola

Yes.
Rogallo wings have a glide ratio of about 2 / 1.
I have jumped Delta II and Paradacytl Rogallo parachutes and found them comparable to early rami-r/square/Jalbert parachutes.
The issue with Rogallo wing seems during a dive, the wind coming towards upper part of wing, the camber effect generated by wind is lost, resulting in a total loss of lift.
Blessings +

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I once heard about a G Washington anecdote: A guy constantly bothered him, asking: 'When do you plan to attack?', after a while, GW responded: 'Could you keep a secret? the guy said: 'Yes', and George Wasinghton replied: 'Me too!'

Young man, calculations are a big part in engineering products, you can't ask someone in the business, as you say you did with Moeller, to provide you with the basis or results of their research for free.
Blessings +
deleted.

Aesquire

The issue with Rogallo wing seems during a dive....
Yes, that was a problem back in 1976. It got solved. Then we pushed the envelope more and found other problems. :) The current versions are higher aspect ratio, have much better aerodynamic drag and can recover from very unusual attitudes. I still wouldn't want to stall into a tail slide unless I am flying a serious acro bird, but a modern certified glider should survive that, unless the pilot reacts very badly. No aircraft is stupid proof.

Air flow supported fabric wings, like parachutes, paragliders, do have AOA limitations. The paraglider rating system is based on understanding and controlling within those limits, and recovering from collapses when they exceed them.

EzyBuildWing

The Jetsons....."Jetson One" ..... just need to double battery "energy-density" one more time and we'll all be in the market for one of these fun-machines,,
Fuselage could be bolt-together Bensen-style aluminium 2" square tube.!