Could you design anything stranger?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

IIRC, the Moller SkyCar has been full of promise and publicity through many generations, but no version has really flown. I think there may have been legal issues as well along the lines of inappropriately attempting to raise funds. This one is best ignored...
What?

Ignore one of the most successful, sustained, aviation scams of all time?

Moller should be in the aviation Hall of Shame.

BJC

Riggerrob

Oracle could do some dramatic turns (yaw) with those thrust-reverser buckets. ... but as another poster suggested, the farther apart the buckets, the faster the turns.
With differential buckets, it might do spectacular rolls. I don't know if anyone has ever built differential reverser buckets, but I am suggesting leaving one half of the bucket pointed straight aft, while the other half tilts 90 degrees. That configuration would roll the airplane faster than airshow audiences can count. Again, the farther apart the engines, the more dramatic the roll rate.

cluttonfred

Does this count? 😝

Oracle could do some dramatic turns (yaw) with those thrust-reverser buckets. ... but as another poster suggested, the farther apart the buckets, the faster the turns.
With differential buckets, it might do spectacular rolls. I don't know if anyone has ever built differential reverser buckets, but I am suggesting leaving one half of the bucket pointed straight aft, while the other half tilts 90 degrees. That configuration would roll the airplane faster than airshow audiences can count. Again, the farther apart the engines, the more dramatic the roll rate.

tspear

Well to be specific, Firefly was the series. Serenity was the movie set after the series concluded.
But yea, one of my favorite. Another one I liked which was a little difference was Babylon 5,.

Tim

Urquiola

What?

Ignore one of the most successful, sustained, aviation scams of all time?

Moller should be in the aviation Hall of Shame.

BJC
There seems existing something going beyond 'discredit' around Moeller, and also against Wankel Rotary Combustion Engine.
Somebody with name Itzak Rabin was inside www.freedom-motors.com not long ago.
The SkyCar is a reasonable design, but never got an FAA permit beyond tethered ups and downs, for 'safety reasons'.
Möller used OMC Wankel RCEs for SkyCar, but today, the choice could have been electric engines fed from an ICE-generator inside fuselage.
The Moeller Flying disc machine m200x
that anteceded Quadcopters in decades (I ignore what part of Quadcopters' software came from Moeller work), had same FAA restriction, but some claim in false the machine never went airborne, but was hung from a rope. This slander is a criminal offense.
The Wankel engine patents and prototypes by Moeller are among the best in RCE.
Yes, he was suited, and lost, but if you have good connections, and good money, you know, you can have the Son of YahWeh damned.
Moeller technology is sound, this is the main fact.
He's becoming older day after day, if he has no followers, his research will pass along with him, a technology loss. Blessings +

Last edited:

Riggerrob

Sounds like Moeller fell down the same legal rabbit hole as the Wright Brothers. The Wright Brothers devoted huge amounts of time, money and effort to defending their aileron, etc. patents. Competitors (e.g. Glen Curtiss) countered by building replicas of earlier (pre-1900) airplanes to prove 'prior art.' Legal wrangling got so silly that - during World War 1 - the U.S. Federal gov't bought all the patent rights and knocked heads until the Wright Brothers cooperated with Glen Curtiss, etc.
It is a pity when legal actions distract engineers from refining their inventions.
In my case it was scary when lawyers claimed that they were more important than surgeons during a personal injury lawsuit.

Richard Schubert

When looking at post # 21 above I felt like I was looking a the future of aviation.
That jet hovers thanks to a 60 dollar autopilot module that has a "Hover" setting.

BJC

There seems existing something going beyond 'discredit' around Moeller,
The word “disgust” comes to mind.
The SkyCar is a reasonable design
Not if the definition of “reasonable” includes functionality.
Yes, he was suited, and lost, but if you have good connections, and good money, you know, you can have the Son of YahWeh damned.
Do you have experience in the judicial system in the USA to support that claim?

BJC

Urquiola

The word “disgust” comes to mind.
Not if the definition of “reasonable” includes functionality.
Do you have experience in the judicial system in the USA to support that claim?

BJC
SkyCar is a reason able design in that it went airborne, even if hung.
It differs very little to shapes of machine proposed today for the VTOL Air Taxi market, by now, a wish rather than a market.
About the court system in USA, simply, I'm not an attorney, and never get involved in american courts.
But I can ser no reason the under ground differs to that elsewhere, e.g., if you have no power connections, meaning not being obedient to establishment interests, you could start and end your judge career in Baja California, so to say. But there are some honest people everywhere. Thanks. Blessings +

Highplains

I actually met Paul Moeller back in the early 80’s through a third party. He wanted a hot shot RC pilot to fly one of his early designs without supporting safety wires. His design at that time use entrained air as a method of increasing lift.

What he really wanted was someone to do a lot of work with zero pay and I had plenty to do at a real job designing tactical and strategic reconnaissance systems.

Some call Moeller a visionary, but I believe he was more of a grifter. His claims of a 350mph cruise, while burning <10 gph, with ducted fans, defies physics. When I asked to see his calculations to back his claims, he stopped talking and turned away from me. Apparently, I was supposed to believe in magic, not the laws of thermodynamics. He's not the only grifter out there who is lining his pockets from denigrating/ignoring science.

poormansairforce

Some call Moeller a visionary, but I believe he was more of a grifter. His claims of a 350mph cruise, while burning <10 gph, with ducted fans, defies physics. When I asked to see his calculations to back his claims, he stopped talking and turned away from me. Apparently, I was supposed to believe in magic, not the laws of thermodynamics. He's not the only grifter out there who is lining his pockets from denigrating/ignoring science.
Here a PM, there a PM, everywhere a PM.....

AeroER

I may have one or two in my collection that's a little stranger than that one. It looks to me like he needs to stagger his wings the other way for cg purposes and skin preservation though.
View attachment 116326View attachment 116327View attachment 116328View attachment 116330View attachment 116331View attachment 116332View attachment 116333View attachment 116334
View attachment 116340
Those have a strong resemblance to objects yielded by Altair optimization software.

The software is faithful to the boundary conditions, but not necessarily to machine tools unless extra constraints are imposed to help control the weird shapes.

Riggerrob

This?
At first glance, Hummingird looks like a Coelopter with larger ailerons.
When I say "larger ailerons" I am referring to its F-104 Starfighter like wings.
Ducted fans are most efficient at low airspeeds. Think of the near zero airspeed maneuvers flown by some aerobatic display pilots. With sufficient prop blast flowing across tail surfaces, Hummingbird should be able to turn at near zero airspeed.