Could you design anything stranger?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

delta

I may have one or two in my collection that's a little stranger than that one. It looks to me like he needs to stagger his wings the other way for cg purposes and skin preservation though.
mp9vtol2.JPGmp9vtol3.JPGmp9vtol4.JPGmw3z3a.JPGmw3z3b.JPGmw3z3c.JPGx-wing3a.JPGx-wing3b.JPG
x-wing3d.JPG

Mad MAC

I think someone was (10 years ago) working on something similar, but with a singlur ducted fan and it was designed to be capable of pulling 6 G in both X and Y axis. Don't know if its still going.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
No drawings but reference the Williams X-jet variations incorporated as the core of a hybred 8 foot diameter ducted fan containing 6 or 8 electric fans quad copter style for additional thrust, range and control:

Williams X-Jet - Wikipedia

"Other VTOL systems developed by Williams International included a jet-powered flying belt, developed in 1969, which was powered by a Williams WR19 turbofan, and X-Jet's predecessor, the WASP I (Williams Aerial Systems Platform), which was developed in the 1970s and was powered by the more powerful WR19-9 BRP5, rated at 670 lbf (2.98 kN) thrust and a specific fuel consumption of 0.47 lb/lbf·h (13.31 g/kN·s)."

The 8 foot diameter is a limitation to keep the vehicle street legal and allow storage in a standard one car garage. The roadable requirement is to allow the vehicle to transition from the garage to a suitable VTOL or STOL takeoff and landing area. The duct also allows sufficient lifting area to transition to horizontal flight with a maximum forward cruise speed of 250 knots.

Riggerrob

Holy complex, long and over-lapping load paths Batman!
They could have reduced empty weight by bolting tail booms to the lower wing.

crkckr

Stranger? Hooweee! I haven't committed anything to paper but my mind does wander now and then and the idea's that rattle around in there would likely stagger the average imagination to a standstill... or total collapse!
Cheers,
crkckr

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm disappointed. When I saw the thread title and clicked on it, I had interpreted it as, "Can you design anything, stranger?" Setting that aside...

I think we often misuse the word design. Webster tells us that design is "to plan and make (something) for a specific use or purpose;" that is, to organize physical objects to accomplish a specific purpose. Good design does so with simplicity and visual elegance, taking into account other things such as economy, constructability, and optimization of material characteristics.

Producing wacky images of farcical flying things shouldn't be called design. At best, it's advanced child's play. Imagination can be fun, and may inform a creative designer's thinking, but it should not be confused with design.

I now yield the soapbox.

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

Frankly I’m a little disappointed in the engine placement in that not-Pitts. They’re so close to centreline you couldn’t do anything wild with differential thrust and the exhausts are basically on the CG so those thrust vectoring ring thingies won’t be super useful.

I don’t know what spool times are like on those little Williams fans but if they respond quick enough I bet the concept of an aerobatic twin engine jet for crazy high alpha work at air shows could be made absolutely wild.

jedi

Holy complex, long and over-lapping load paths Batman!
They could have reduced empty weight by bolting tail booms to the lower wing.
I think the engine and tail boom location make sense. Thrust line is on the CG and loads split between the upper and lower wing. I would have put the horizontal stabilizer and elevator in the thrust line for increased pitch control. If Aerobatics is the primary mission vertical surfaces would be there also.

BJC

HBA Supporter
enough I bet the concept of an aerobatic twin engine jet for crazy high alpha work at air shows could be made absolutely wild.
That configuration, flown in an airshow, is likely to spend more time at zero alpha than anything else.

BJC

Tiger Tim

That configuration, flown in an airshow, is likely to spend more time at zero alpha than anything else.
Traditionally that’s what we’ve seen, but this is becoming more and more common in the RC world:
So more or less just that but bigger.

jedi

cluttonfred

Did it fly and if so how did it go?

When looking at post # 21 above I felt like I was looking a the future of aviation.

Make it 50% bigger. Put a man in it. Add magic batteries and make it quiet and we will have "something".

Replace the jet blast with flapping wings so that it can be flown in a normal setting and we will have "something that works".

Talk about science fiction and strange things, can you picture a 500 pound humming bird?

edwisch

IIRC, the Moller SkyCar has been full of promise and publicity through many generations, but no version has really flown. I think there may have been legal issues as well along the lines of inappropriately attempting to raise funds. This one is best ignored...