Quantcast

Cost to have 503 checked?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Caltard13

OK guys,
Looking at a plane with a 503 on it. engine has 250 hrs. I figure it would need to be sent in / checked and "rebuilt" by some certified Rotax service center. So the price to do that , is what I am trying to figure into me deciding if it is a good price or not?

any one have any advise, experience that could help me out here!

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it flying now? At 250 hours I'd probably just fly it, unless there's something that makes you think there's a problem.

Many snowmobile shops can work on them.

radfordc

I can understand why you would want the engine looked at....you're buying a pig in a poke.

Try this....google "rotax 503 overhaul cost" You will get many links.

Caltard13

Dana, Yes it is flying now, and so far the craftmanship appears to be top notch and well documented.

Radford, thanks for the advise, I got a pretty good feeling for the costs from Dr. Google.

. as for your Pig in a Poke? In checking in advance, i thought i would avoid that, do my research, know what i would be looking at, know the costs, know the history etc. i thought buying a pig in a poke would be buying a plane or anything else without doing extensive research? maybe my definition is wrong!

proppastie

Log Member
Use a model tachometer to see what rpm it will turn static. See how it sounds. Perhaps someone here knows what it should turn up to. If it will not start or run it is worth lots less. I typically would pay $100 for a non-running motorcycle .

radfordc

. as for your Pig in a Poke? In checking in advance, i thought i would avoid that, do my research, know what i would be looking at, know the costs, know the history etc. i thought buying a pig in a poke would be buying a plane or anything else without doing extensive research? maybe my definition is wrong!
Maybe the wrong way to say it... I mean you don't know the true condition of the engine until you do have it checked.

Bigorneau

Hi,
flying with Weedhopper motorised by rotax 503 bi-carb, bi-ignition, 290 hours.
Next total checking 400 hours.
All systems on 503 are easy to check and repair.
Rgds.
Joe

ToddK

HBA Supporter
What year is it? How long since the last rebuild? Mogas or avgas? Pull the carbs and or exhaust and check out the cyliders. You see crosshatching (good), rust spots (not so good), or aluminum (sign of seizure and bad) Do you see any oil leaking? If the cylinders look good, its not leaking oil at the case seam, and if the EGTs and CHTs are in spec, I would check the carb boots, change the fuel pump, pulse line, and fuel line if they are older then a year and... fly it. Have fun. Total should be less then $100. If he has been running avgas... I would think real hard about sending it. I personally know a guy who has put 2000 hrs on a quicksilver with a 503. He has had it overhauled once at over 1000 hours. He runs it right, and feeds it right, from new. If it needs to go in, I would send it into Heaven Bound Aviation if you are in the North, or South Mississippi Light Aircraft if you are in the south, being in Texas I have used South Mississippi (on my 582), been to their 2 stroke workshop, and can recommend them.

Armilite

OK guys,
Looking at a plane with a 503 on it. engine has 250 hrs. I figure it would need to be sent in / checked and "rebuilt" by some certified Rotax service center. So the price to do that , is what I am trying to figure into me deciding if it is a good price or not?

any one have any advise, experience that could help me out here!
========================================================================

First, Rotax's suggested TBO is 5 Years or 300hrs whichever comes first!

I would personally want to See and Hear it Run! Based on that and other Info below I would want to do a Basic Tear Down Inspection. That allows you to do a Piston & Rings De-Carbon, put in New Case Seals, check for Rust and any other bad things like an Over Heated Bearing. I would replace the Carb Rubber Boots, and all Fuel Line with New Tygon Brand, New Fuel Pump, New Fuel Filter.

Questions you need to Ask:
(1) How Old is it? If Compression is Good on both Cylinders 135+, but Older than 7 years, I definitely would replace Case Seals & Carb Boots, Fuel Lines, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump.

(2) When did it last Run?

(3) What does a Compression Test show for each Cylinder? The 503UL is 10.8cr x 14.7psi = 158.76psi at Sea Level on a Perfect Engine. Subtract 3% for each 1000ft or 1.5% for each 500ft you are above Sea Level.

If you don't feel comfortable doing these Checks and Replacing Parts, you have these Places close by you. There is some How To DVD's sold by CPS.

You have a Rotax Service at:
JM Aero Service (2:24min from your town)
5749 S. Tracy Blvd
93706 Tracy
United States
Phone: 209 481 5881
Email: nor_calefs@yahoo.com

Vector Sport Aviation (:45min from your town)
510 W. Kearney Blvd Suite 104
93706 Fresno
United States
Phone: 559 801 3273
Email: dave@vectorsportaviation.com

Alpine Aviation (3:55min from your Town)
13310 Nevada City Ave
95945 Grass Valley
United States
Phone: (530) 477-7701
Email: sandy@flyalpine.com

If you need a Complete Over Haul, I would send it to Rotax Rick in Naples, Flordia.
He's listed on www.Barnstormers.com.