Cost of scratch building a BD-4c

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

djschwartz

I am wondering a estimate of what it would cost to scratch build a BD-4c has anyone on here done it?
The BD4 was built using stacked molded fiberglass sections for the wings and a tubular spar that was not something readily available. You'd need to design a wing from scratch using available materials if you don't have the kit parts.

This has been said numerous times before; but once again, if the designer sold the aircraft only as a kit then it is generally not possible to scratch build one. Even if you have the documents that came with a kit they are not full plans, they're instructions on assembling the kit. Usually kits included parts fabricated by the kit maker that are unique to that aircraft and thus not available on the open market and for which no plans were ever released.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
The BD4 was built using stacked molded fiberglass sections for the wings and a tubular spar that was not something readily available. You'd need to design a wing from scratch using available materials if you don't have the kit parts.

This has been said numerous times before; but once again, if the designer sold the aircraft only as a kit then it is generally not possible to scratch build one. Even if you have the documents that came with a kit they are not full plans, they're instructions on assembling the kit. Usually kits included parts fabricated by the kit maker that are unique to that aircraft and thus not available on the open market and for which no plans were ever released.
The BD4C is a newer version of a BD4 kit with some updates including a metal wing with honeycomb ribs with metal skin. Both the earlier version of the kit and the newer version are possible to scratch build if the builder is willing to be a little creative. Complete plans are available and a construction book for the original version of the BD4. (I have both plans and the book that I might be willing to part with, PS and BTW :)

If one wanted to build a BD4 from scratch one would need only get the original plans and join the forum (BD-4.org) and figure out which method of construction to concentrate on. But there are some parts that are hard to get ones hands on. Those are generally wing parts like the original fiberglass molded wing sections and the spars. There are tons of alternate methods to use to achieve the same results. Rolled spars can be used. Metal ribs and wingskins can be used.

But in general it is better to buy a complete airframe from someone and just kitbash that into what you want.

The BD4 is a very interesting design. It takes a general hit from the BD5 nightmare in terms of just people's reaction to the name Bede. But this particular design is actually very successful and there were many kits made and many flying. Almost no other kit has been modified as extensively for high performance as the BD4. It may be boxy and a bit boring looking but it is a great and efficient design with a great history. It is NOT a trainer even though it looks like a lot of high wing boxy monoplanes. It is a hot, high performance, honest airframe.

(and yeah, I am biased, and yeah, I have a project for sale)