Corvair engines

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Daleandee

Slide carbs are not metered by a Venturi. The slide opens up more metering holes the farther the slide is moved. Piccolo tube of sorts. It has to have a certain amount of head pressure or a pump or it does nothing.
You are correct but I will note that the Sonex version uses a tapered needle in an orifice that allows more fuel to mix with more air as the slide opens & pulls the needle out of the orifice. Elementary in it's design it is said to work well for some once adjusted correctly. My experience with an early version wasn't comforting.

Doran Jaffas

Either way it's moot point the airplane has run 350 hours or so so obviously it works but I wouldn't buy it now even if he offered it to me for the original price just because of the pain of the butt it's been. anybody that does business this way is someone that I do not want to do business with in any fashion. Thanks for the response guys. I did learn something about the posa a type carburetor through all of this. I think we ought to move on to a subject that's a little better like fixing up the airplanes we have and talking about the joys of flying open cockpit or otherwise. Everybody on this forum is absolutely great. The best forum I've ever been on for aviation.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Once the seller is dubious I worry about other things like did it suffer a prop strike or did it get overheated etc.

Doran Jaffas

He bought it off someone that had Parkinson's. That much I can verify. He is not the builder. If he would have told me the engine was not running and right from the get-go if it gets running he would add $4,000 to it I never would have started to deal on the first place. I offered to help get it running and once he told me that he would add $4,000 to it that's when I pulled out. I also sent him a suggestion please start a checklist as he didn't seem to know anything about that type of carburetor. I'm just going to let this go. If I get anything back I get it back if I don't just live and learn. Too much fun and thanks to look forward to.

TFF

That is a speculator for you. Thanks for the warning. As these threads go on, and on, I would just check out on it. You have had your aggravation, no need to keep up with the direction it meanders.

Doran Jaffas

I agree folks. Let this go. I really just mentioned this because people are still responding to me about the inquiry I had about the Corvair engine. I Think it's time to shut this down.