• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Corvair Converison Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flienlow

I have some questions about a Corvair conversion and I am really hoping to gain some insight as to whether this is the right engine for me.
Yes, I have been to the FlyCorvair Website, I have been all over you tube and seen a few blogs on the subject. I have not spent any money buying books or DVD though.

I think it is also note worthy to point out that my proposed plane is a A Ch750 or Kitfox SS7, and my reason why I would choose Corvair Power would be financial . I do not own a machine shop or have specialized tools, and I am not an Areonautical Engineer. -But this does not mean I wouldnt like to persue this project if it is feasible.

Questions:

1.IS THIS ENGINE SAFE? -when I hear breaking cranks I get scared and quickly. Also when I mean "safe" I mean would you put your 5 year old in the plane with you and fly over a mountain range ( or larger body of water for that matter) and trust their lives on Corvair Power? -this question assumes you build it the WW way and follow steps with scrupulous detail.

2.IS THIS ENGINE WORTH IT? -going off of WW site, I can easily add up $7,000+ dollars worth of goodies needed, and oh by the way you will need a corvair engine, treat the crank, machine the heads,and buy a rebuild kit for it. Your next cheapest venture would be a Viking Engine.

In closing I would like to say that on other forums a Corvair (and auto conversions in general ) is not held in high regard although no one seems to be able to prove thier point with exception to the crank breakage.

thank you for your time and insights!

Back