• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Corrosion Protection Options for Sheet Metal Construction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jman

Site Developer
Ok guys, I'm in need of some corrosion protection advice. I've read the recent thread Planecrazy J started concerning his Cessna 150 project and there is some good info in there. I'd like this thread to be about corrosion protection measures that should be used from the beginning of the build. Here is my situation.

I'm building the CH-801 which is built from primarily 6061 T6 aluminum sheet. It will be used by an aid / mission organization presumably in tough conditions. I don't know where it will be based yet but I'm going with the worse case scenario of a jungle environment within 5 miles of the ocean.

Here are some of the common methods I've seen being used by others:
1. Napa self etching rattle can primer over bare aluminum.
2. Alumiprep -> Alodine -> Zinc Chromate Primer
3. 2 part Epoxy Primer over bare aluminum.

I'm leaning toward number two but I'm open to suggestions. A one step, easy application, easy clean-up solution would really be nice, but not at the expense of the corrosion protection performance. The self etching primer is attractive but as Wally mentioned in the other thread, it needs to be top coated to truly provide protection.

Has anyone used or heard anything about the Stewart System Primer Sealer? It has the advantage of being a single component system but they claim as good protection as two part epoxy primers. Seems pretty expensive though.

So I guess what I'm asking for is informed advice about which method of corrosion protection is going to work in a salt environment yet be easy to apply. Being able to forgo the Acid Etch and alodine would be nice, but if they truly add benefit I'm more than willing to use them.

Thanks in advance.

Back