• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Correct landing gear for Super Baby Great Lakes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdus

The short version is that I bought a fuselage for my Super Baby Great Lakes. It came with spring landing gear (among other things). As an aside, I'm the fifth (!) owner of this fuselage. It needs some work, but I think I'm ahead by buying it. Anyway, I have a question about the spring landing gear it came with (the plans call out gear more along the lines of what a Pitts has). I actually e-mailed Grove twice about this, but they never responded, so I'm asking you guys here.

The gear seem like they massive positive camber (excessive?). I realize that some of that will be squashed out after everything is on the plane (e.g., engine, full fuel, etc.), so its stance on the ground should look more normal (i.e., wheel more or less vertical). However, of course, when landing, the gear will have this major positive camber. Is this correct? Is this landing gear correct for my plane? (NOTE: I will plan on buying and using radius plates for mounting the gear.)

Here are the measurements:
  • Depth (front to back at top where it attaches to fuselage): 6”
  • Width, wheel to wheel: 48”
  • Width (flat along top): 25”
  • Height: 19”
  • Bolt pattern: 1.375”, center to center, square pattern
  • Thickness: 1/2”
Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Jay

p1197720597-6.jpg

p1197720615-5.jpg

p1197720645-6.jpg