Cordless electric rivet gun and cordless high speed electric drill

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by pilotarix, Mar 15, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 26, 2017 #21

pilotarix

pilotarix

pilotarix

Hello all,

thank you for all the input which always helps a lot with decision making.

I finally decided to go with air tools and have already purchased a compressor according to the size of my workshop noise criteria and so on. I do certainly know that in this case bigger is better but not always practical. In addition we might have to move within the next 6 to 9 month so I try to keep things manageable rather than postponing the start of the project any further.

Next thing is the air drill, RPMs and a sharp drill bit might help to keep the hole round while drilling into thin sheet metal. Variable speed allowing for a slow start might help to drill the hole where it is supposed to be rather than the drill wandering around and the hole ending up slightly in the wrong location. With that said I am looking for drill with high RPM and a variable trigger but how important is "reverse"?

I will use the air drill almost exclusively for drilling into thin sheet metal, for thicker material I have quite a few other options including a Grizzly g0704 drill/mill.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Mar 26, 2017 #22

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Since the electrical system in my hangar will not carry the current necessary to run an air compressor I find it necessary to use relatively low wattage electrical devices. Other tenants have the same issues and get around the issue by using generators or going without. I would really like to be able to use my airdrills and die grinders but am forced to use cordless drills and such. I have been looking for an electric 90 degree die grinder but my searches have turned up nothing so far. I did buy a straight electric Makita die grinder but that thing is heavy and awkward.

3. Mar 27, 2017 #23

Angusnofangus

Angusnofangus

Angusnofangus

Hi Chris,

Buy a good quality air drill, one with a sensitive trigger, no more than about 2300 RPM. Sioux, Dotco, and DeSoutter are all good names. Check Ebay and I'm sure you will find any number. I got a Desoutter off of Ebay a few years ago for only $25. It was a drill that went for $400 new. I have a great old Ingersoll-Rand that I use every day that I found in a pawn shop for $30. Point is, you don't have to spend big bucks to get a good drill. As for a reversing drill, I personally have almost never had a use for one, plus left-hand twist drill bits aren't all that common.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  4. Mar 28, 2017 #24

pilotarix

pilotarix

pilotarix

Hi

thanks for the advice.

I ordered this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Pneumatic-Compact-Pistol-Drill-Chuck/dp/B00XD5A5NQ/ref=pd_sbs_328_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XJ253BF3919HMG5GWA2E

It seems to be the Asia version of a Sioux drill, I saw it in one of the videos on the EAA homebuilders video channel, seems to have a very controllable trigger and is not too expensive.

thanks
    Chris

5. Mar 28, 2017 #25

Angusnofangus

Angusnofangus

Angusnofangus

Looks like a good choice. I looks exactly like the Sioux drills some of my co-workers have, except it doesn't say 'Sioux' on it. Thus it's about 1/3 the price. Happy drilling.:)

6. Mar 29, 2017 #26

pilotarix

pilotarix

pilotarix

Thanks!

OK, it goes on with tools
    Last night this little piece of equipment arrived, the UPS guy dropped it at the front door, mentioning that it is quite heavy. Not too bad only 100 lbs, I had to unbox it on the front porch and put the wheels on to get it into the basement.

compressor.jpg

First impression - very bad smell - something chemical - which reminded me on the smell in the Harbor Freight stores, I bet that China is the country of origin, but on Amazon it says Mexico. Anyhow I think it pretty much doesn't matter.

The first start was successful and currently it seems to do what it is supposed to do - compressing air. Hope tonight the UPS guy comes again and this time with some air tools so I can do some testing.

One is for sure, it's pretty quiet and that was (smart or not) on top of my list of requirements.

more to come

thanks
    Chris

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  7. Apr 4, 2017 #27

pilotarix

pilotarix

pilotarix

Hi all,

just to finalize this... here is a short video with the new tools

First test with my new compressor, air drill and riveter. Never had any air tools before, the air drill has a very sensitive trigger which helps a lot with exactly placing the holes, furthermore it is very light weight and very comfy to work with. When the compressor kicks in it appears to be very loud in the video but it is actually not that bad and the compressor is right next to the work bench. In addition the compressor has a plastic housing around the on/off switch that badly rattles when the compressor kicks in I hope I find a solution for that. For sure the compressor might not be the right size for many of us and the type of tools that can be used with it is limited, however for me it's the size and the noise level I can hopefully work with, time will tell.

This was just a test with some crap aluminum... I know that I deburred some holes twice and the whole process was not in perfect order.

OK now it's time to get some real parts to work on. :)

Thanks
    Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  8. Apr 5, 2017 #28

Kevin N

Kevin N

Kevin N

Awesome. You got tools you need and the work continues. If you don't have one already check out the "two bit snapper" that Kent White sells. Great for lay out. I have about every type of spring loaded center punch available and I end up using mine about 90% of the time on aluminum.